Allen & Heath Mixwizard WZ16:2DX

boatman

Arran Events has just acquired a used A & H WZ16 for use as a monitor mixer. One of the channels is dead and I have been asked to repair it. I have the service manual and all the necessary tools, skills and spare parts, but would like to ask if there are any unexpected "bear traps" to look out for when servicing this mixer.

There's no rush as it will be heavily used between now and Hogmanay, so I won't be looking at it until the first week of January at the earliest.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

+1

I've only had them apart to change jumpers or do a bit of cleaning but they're far more convenient to work on than many mixers.

Actually, I guess that IS a hint...you can change some routings (such as auxes pre or post) with jumpers--it might be worth checking with the owners if they want any changes to save having to pull it apart again in a few weeks. It occurs that, for a monitor board, some settings other than the default might be an advantage.

+1

I've only had them apart to change jumpers or do a bit of cleaning but they're far more convenient to work on than many mixers.

Actually, I guess that IS a hint...you can change some routings (such as auxes pre or post) with jumpers--it might be worth checking with the owners if they want any changes to save having to pull it apart again in a few weeks. It occurs that, for a monitor board, some settings other than the default might be an advantage.

Thanks Bobbsy, that's a useful hint. I will contact them with the question.

I see from the mic channel schematic that the direct out normally has the same eq path as the Aux & Cue buses. It looks as though it's possible to make the direct out always pre-eq regardless of the switch setting for the other buses. Would that be preferable for a monitor desk?

There's probably lots of different views on this but, for me, the importance of pre-EQ direct outs is more for doing multitrack recording. I'm less concerned for monitor mixing.

However, as hinted above, I'd want all my Auxes pre fade for monitor use so each of them can be used for a separate monitor feed independent of the faders.

As everyone says, though, YMMV.

On my 16:2, I've just had to replace a couple of TRS sockets on the stereo ins on the back panel. While removing the board from the panel was tiresome (being built like a tank has its drawbacks!) the soldering was an absolute pleasure.

...However, as hinted above, I'd want all my Auxes pre fade for monitor use so each of them can be used for a separate monitor feed independent of the faders.

We changed a 16:2 over for this purpose. From memory, it's a wire link that changes between pre and post on auxes 5&6. You can hold the link with long nose pliers, heat one end with the soldering iron, lift the link up and then relocate that end in the new hole for prefade operation. A quick dab of solder and job's a good'un...

We changed a 16:2 over for this purpose. From memory, it's a wire link that changes between pre and post on auxes 5&6. You can hold the link with long nose pliers, heat one end with the soldering iron, lift the link up and then relocate that end in the new hole for prefade operation. A quick dab of solder and job's a good'un...

Exactly that...and the links that need changing are detailed towards the end of the operations manual (probably in the maintenance manual too but I never had that).

Once you get into the gubbins it's a relatively easy job...a good one for a rainy afternoon with Radio 4 on in the background and a plentiful supply of tea nearby.

My understanding was that this was a dedicated monitor desk, used with a splitter. Is that not the case?

Also, I was under the impression that if running a dedicated monitor desk, you want all the auxes post fader post eq, that way you have the most control over everything on the desk. (At least, that's what we just did with one of "my" companies last week when we reconfigured a mk 3 Mixwizard.)

David

Out of interest Simon, are the MixWizes marked up Ref that change?

The two MixWizes at Uni are not modified... I changed the one used for monitors at the nearby Anglican church....

My understanding was that this was a dedicated monitor desk, used with a splitter. Is that not the case?

The basic WZ3 16:2 is a normal 16 into 2 desk. However, they do produce a 12M monitor version, which does have splits etc. 16 inputs and 12 auxes!

http://www.allen-heath.com/Assets/Images/Products/MixWizard3%2012M/L_main_WZ3_12_M_3Q.jpg

Archived