Grease

Drama Queen

Hello

I'm a junior in high school and I want to direct the musical; Grease.

Things I did:

Set design

Costumes

Dance choreography

2 assistant directors, 1 dance director and 1 stage manager

My main concerns are being able to do live music, I was thinking of playing the instrumental track and have the singers sing. And I dont know how I can get the performance license and how much it's going to cost because I have a tight budget.

Thank you all,

D

And I dont know how I can get the performance license and how much it's going to cost because I have a tight budget.

Hmmm...

Well, although your profile says you're in Jordan, I doubt that this will make too much difference to the reality in that you MUST secure the rights to do the show before embarking on it as a project. Things like Grease will have an international licencing status, and even schools have to conform. There MAY be discretionary allowances for schools, but it still needs to be organised.

There may also be stipulations on whether you can use backing tracks or have to use a live band.

As for not having the budget, this is the FIRST mistake that many school (and amateur) productions make - you MUST work out - again in advance - what your prospective audience figures will be. You then look at what costs you're likely to incur, be it staging, costume, lighting, sound etc. From those two rough figures you work out what your ticket prices need to be pitched at, and THEN consider whether the parents and friends will turn out for that price anyway!

As you're in Jordan, this may work better for you - as rights are a territory based thing, so the first thing to do is send an email to all the usual rights sources - www.theatricalrights.com is down at the moment - so probably the snow, as they mention on their facebook page.

Leaving all the copyright issues to one side, I'm a little confused - you're a student? and are sorting this all out yourself? Seems an awful lot of work, and the difficulty level is pretty high.

You need some standard bits of set - the Greased Lightning car being one - however, I've seen a simple cut out of the front, and a real car - and loads in between.

Backing tracks can work, but they'll need creating specially for your group, because some of the original keys are tricky for younger performers. However, if the school has a music department with some people who know what they're doing, all will be well. That said - every time I have been involved (sometimes production, other times as a musician) vamp bars are really important - some songs are so easy to get lost in, while others have long intros with spoken dialogue over the top - so if you are using tracks, then they are going to start no matter where the cast are in the dialogue - so a real band is so much better. Summer Lovin' is a good example - the ability to keep the intro going until they're ready is important.

Set can be fairly simple, so no problems there.

Being where you are, the copyright thing will really be a job for the staff, because somebody has to arrange the payments and sign the forms. However, as you are so far away, I doubt that if you cut a song or two, anyone will ever know!

Grease is a high value show with "West End" and "Broadway" shows now or likely. Do not perform it without first doing the planning to be able to afford, and actually getting the licence. Don't expect the licence to be cheap,and do expect strict terms in the licence so that the owners can maintain the perceived quality of their product. Do NOT add or subtract from the performance as licensed, they could get very upset and it could cost you big money.

Jive/Ynot/Paul, the answers are in that TES forum topic in my earlier post. There is a "schools" version of Grease which costs around the 1,000 Jordanian Dinars to license. The rights are held by Theatrical Rights Worldwide in New York, some songs cost 250 extra and "Grease Is The Word" is apparently not available for use.

The teachers on there reckon that the rights stipulate the colour of the sitching on some costumes and they are a right pain to deal with. Most of the topic consists of suggestions as to which other shows it would be better to do.

We are currently doing Grease at school/work. The Second in Faculty for Drama originally dealt with the licencing of the the production. Apparently, the show has cost over £1,000 simply on licencing. I don't know the exact figures but it has put a strain on being able to turn a profit on the show.

I did Grease as well and it cost a LOT. We got a live band, too.

Many musicals' rights are ONLY granted on the condition that you use a live band. In fact I'd say the majority probably do so and will NOT grant if you plan to use recorded tracks.

Schools editions are a bit more flexible, because they're aware that musicians just won't be available - We Will Rock You isn't the kind of music that kids at school may be able to recreate properly with electric kit, and Les Mis could be tricky with a bunch of long guitar strap rock heros - The amateur rights are a bit different. I'm not sure Grease that is done in schools is a different product - which is probably why one of the schools I've been to with BTEC hat on, asked me to play in the band for their show - they HAD to have live music.

The problem in this topic however, is that the OP is not in the UK and is having to deal with the Americans, who hold the worldwide rights - so our UK experience may count for little.

Probably also worth noting that after the first 3 days, the OP hasn't been back and a week has passed, so perhaps her teachers have decided not to proceed.

Heyy,

At first I thought of doing the musical Grease but a lot of people told me its difficult to do since this is the first musical I'm directing.

I started looking at other plays that are NOT musicals but I couldn't find anything that is fun to do and popular,, any suggestions??

Thank you,

D

Archived