Gig shorts

wow the ynot "purity campaign" of BR is in full swing as usual!!

Not impressed with that intended slur.

I was not the first or only poster to make comment so why.............?

And whilst I'd be more than happy for questions of a specific nature regarding the longevity of different suppliers of crew clothing, that's not necessarily what we've got here, and not quite what the response to the OP was about!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In my job its, "out there doing it", from decking to truss to robotic lights, to line arrays, to mains distro, loading/unloading trucks etc etc

Gosh. I can certainly see why ordinary shorts wouldn't do for you.

So manly! <swoon> :P

E2A

My job is so "Out there maaaaaan!" that I can't wear ordinary shorts from an ordinary shop either. I have mine made for me specially by the chap who makes Superman's underpants.

In my job its, "out there doing it", from decking to truss to robotic lights, to line arrays, to mains distro, loading/unloading trucks etc etc

I ONLY wear "high street" clothing the days I have pre-rigged and am going purely to opp and where I need to be a little more presentable in front of the client...

Emm my Asda shorts have thus far survived: Building steel deck, building sets, about 50 truck tips and packs, mojo barrier, pulling multis and a whole heap of other stuff too. Also if I do trash them they will be pretty cheap to replace.

wow the ynot "purity campaign" of BR is in full swing as usual!!

Not impressed with that intended slur.

I was not the first or only poster to make comment so why.............?

And whilst I'd be more than happy for questions of a specific nature regarding the longevity of different suppliers of crew clothing, that's not necessarily what we've got here, and not quite what the response to the OP was about!

because many times newbies are insulted or bullied or an ordinary member feels its their right to police the forum, its you.

personally tired of it. I used to just ignore it.. this week its annoyed me. pretty simple.

wasnt trying to say I'm more manly... just that the requirements of one tech are not the same as others.. eg in my company the cheapo lightweight shorts are fine for the warehouse manager but dont last with me. just used me as the example, not the yard stick.

neither am I implying one job is better than another, just that there aredifferent tasks of different types in different areas. its a basic fact, in most theaters you wont be man handling 190kg space cannons around a beach (just the example of my last gig).. but in theater you get far more time to polish and fine adjust where we have to just bash on.... no insults intended!

As far as I can see, any comments regarding hard-wearing, number of pockets, colour, butchness, etcetera, while perhaps interesting or even amusing, are largely irrelevant to the OPs dilemma, which is (as I recall) where to find less short shorts. :P

sadly as a person who is indisposed to shorts from a sartorial point of view, I am unable to contribute anything meaningful to the discussion. But good luck in finding the answer.

I too was once banned from wearing my cut-downs but was over 50, running raves with a younger generation of co-workers and have pretty scary legs.

Just bought a pair of they Rohan retirement keks which have removable legs. Took 'em off yesterday and the sun went in...and stayed in! Sarky bl00dy sun!

As far as I can see, any comments regarding hard-wearing, number of pockets, colour, butchness, etcetera, while perhaps interesting or even amusing, are largely irrelevant to the OPs dilemma, which is (as I recall) where to find less short shorts. :P

Although that's true to an extent, I can't see anything wrong with that discussion. I may have rapidly jumped to the conclusion that the Snicker's ones seemed best, but that shouldn't stop this being discussed for future.

Although that's true to an extent, I can't see anything wrong with that discussion. I may have rapidly jumped to the conclusion that the Snicker's ones seemed best, but that shouldn't stop this being discussed for future.

lighten up my friend, tongue firmly in cheek...

Kerry...from your comments ref zip off shorts affecting the weather...I reckon you are Clerk of the Weather... and I claim my sunny weekend for my birthday...I knew Rupert Bear was real.

in all seriousness(?) if folk really want decent, hard wearing shorts, guaranteed, possibly, for years then what is wrong with lederhosen:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lederhosen

Got to be worth a punt (euro).

I wear Primark Black Cargos (granted they're not shorts, but I think they do a 3/4 length short variation..), and they are really good to be fair. They are hard wearing (had them for about a year now and considering I spend pretty much every free living second at the theatre they haven't gone into holes), wash up well (as if I just commented on that...), and are nice and comfy (oh good lord.....!). The main pockets aren't massive, but they're just big enough to cram my phone and wallet into!

And I think they were only about £8 when I got them... I don't really see the point in buying a pair with a proper brand (i.e. Dickies), as they cost A LOT more and are going to get 'trashed' just as much.. I can see the point when it comes to steelies and gloves, but shorts.. although, I suppose I dont do it as a living (yet!) so maybe it's different for you who wear them daily.. http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

MJ2K, when you are old and creaky, like me, comfy kit is a must, especially with padded knees. So it would probably have to be a "branded" item, (current kit is "Portwest").

Oh, and they can't be like the Eiffel Tower either...

I have a few pairs of Black and Combat White Bench shorts. Rather expensive, considering they are just shorts. They are not too practical either. The combats don't have the ability to hold a belt for example... But non of that's an issue as I am required to sit at a desk and program. They do the job, and if I take my black Tshirt off, I can put a white one on and I'm fashionably ready for the pub. They are Rip-Stop too which helps...

Thanks.

.... and if I take my black Tshirt off, I can put a white one on and I'm fashionably ready for the pub. They are Rip-Stop too which helps...

Er, what is NOT fashionable about wearing the BLACK t-shirt to the pub...??

Sheesh, you young uns...!

:D

Archived