Gig shorts

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, but is this really a serious question??

All sorts of high street stores now sell a variety of combat pants, cut-offs, shorts in all sizes and colours...

I even bought a pair only a fortnight ago from Asda that are actually quite comfy - I'm wearing these now!!

I've bought from Matalan, Primark and various other places....

Unless you're really brand centric, I'd just shop around!

for the love of god anything longer than your current ones

I was wondering how long it would take... :P

Yes, why would it not be?

Also, if someone was going to troll the forum, I imagine they'd pick a more interesting topic than one about gig shorts?

for the love of god anything longer than your current ones

I was wondering how long it would take... :P

Yes, why would it not be?

Also, if someone was going to troll the forum, I imagine they'd pick a more interesting topic than one about gig shorts?

Pardon my incredulity, but something as basic as where to but shorts is, well, a little non-technical, and I'd have thought the idea of simply shopping around locally would have been a rather obvious choice.....

Pardon my incredulity, but something as basic as where to but shorts is, well, a little non-technical, and I'd have thought the idea of simply shopping around locally would have been a rather obvious choice.....

I've a certain amount of sympathy for the OP. I'd agree that shorts are a little "non-technical" but it could still be useful to find out people's experience of particular brands. I remember finding a recommendation for Snickers workwear in a thread very similar to this, and I found that very helpful.

YNot, feel free to report back on your Asda shorts. If they fall apart in a week's time, I'm sure many on the forum will be grateful to hear about it. ;)

Adding my voice to Matthew and Stuart, always struggle to find shorts in either natural or black that have enough pockets, are lightweight and comfortable enough, but that stand up to the rigours of daily work and abuse. Found a lovely pair from Primark, just labelled as 'Cargo Pants', maybe a little on the short side, but otherwise brilliant, only propel being they had run out by the time I'd realised how nice they were. Other tankard place is the £25ish Soulcal ones available in Republic stores, only available jun to sept it would seem - slightly dearer but lasted me a 6 month tour of weekly loadout.

M

Crikey Ynot, you'll be telling what colour your keks are next...** laughs out loud **.

I say go with the kneepad sort. I have always thanked the almighty for the folk who invented built in kneepads...much more comfy that bolt on types, especially with shorts...so definitely go with the kneepad shorts...and you'll keep Wilflet happy.

See here:

http://www.tooled-up.com/MicroCategory.asp?CID=20&SCID=524&MCID=2288

Hopefully not too short?

I managed to get myself several pairs of Wrangler Hero Cargo shorts and full length cargo's from walmart when I was in texas..

They've lasted me a good while and plenty of pockets to hide things, pretty tough too! only problem is, I cant find anywhere in the UK that sells them :(

I recommend getting a few pairs if you can.. oh they also do 33" waist!!

..just found this btw:

http://www.jacamo.co.uk/shop/product/details/show.action?pdLpUid=KK736&pdBoUid=3285&lpgUid=#colour:,size:

As bizarre as this topic is, I somehow feel the need to comment!

Asda stock dirt cheap ones that have lasted me a good year or so. I also have an amazing pair of black shorts that are very rugged and I recall being very cheap, but I can't remember where I got them!!! So annoying. Could have been Tesco. <_<

Thanks for all the replies so far, having looked at all of the options, I think I'm going to go with the Snickers ones- they seem hard wearing, and I hope they will last for years at my current rate of working (about 50 events per year).

Also, Willdart, not particularly bizarre. There have been other threads about clothing...

wow the ynot "purity campaign" of BR is in full swing as usual!!

No I agree.. I have had shorts and I have some shorts that just never die!

My work supplied me with some (3 pairs) on my first day in may 2006... and I still wear them every day and here in spain, the shorts season lasts a little longer in the year!

These shorts are AMAZING, they have a phone pouch,a great screwdriver pouch, a clip for radio, standard big cargo pocket etc etc.. colour hasnt faded at all and they are tough as fark. not a mark on any of them!

Its 4am here and I'll have to go later to check what brand they are.........

This season they gave me one other new pair to try.. they are already in the bin. Ripped, faded colours in the wash.. just bad.

What I'd call "high street" shorts/clothing just does not survive at all for me in this job.. they get ripped up in seconds... Guess its because I am not "just" doing day to day "light weight" theatrical work. (ie hang a lantern, filter it and focus it)...

In my job its, "out there doing it", from decking to truss to robotic lights, to line arrays, to mains distro, loading/unloading trucks etc etc

I ONLY wear "high street" clothing the days I have pre-rigged and am going purely to opp and where I need to be a little more presentable in front of the client...

Archived