How to teenage proof a flightcase

air and rage

In my venue there are several dance studios where all sound equipment is rackmounted in flightcases. Problem is we've started getting noise complaints from the neighbours as dance classes seem to like playing their music at deafening levels! Ideally I'd like to cover over the mixer, and just leave access to the main volume control so that's all people have to play with. Unfortunately we can't just screen off the whole mixer, as it has an inbuilt ipod dock (its this: http://www.alesis.com/imultimix9r ). We're looking at limiting/screening off the speakers (as fiddly fingers like to play with any buttons they find and seem to find it amusing turing the speakers off), but if anyone has any clever solutions to stop people playing with the mixer I'd be grateful!

Hi

You could get an ipod dock extender cable, that way you could put a cover over the entire thing. Also I would have thought that leaving the master uncovered defeats the object somewhat.

Alternatively you could install a brickwall limiter between the mixer and the speakers and tamperproof / hide it somewhere.

All the best

Timmeh

A perspex cover bolted over the front, with appropriate cutouts, is one option.

A better option would be to install an (inaccessible) limiter between the mixer and power amp so that even if they crank the mixer volume up to 11, the level doesn't increase beyond a preset threshold.

Or, if you want to make a point, install one of those much-hated devices that kills the audio entirely if it gets too loud.

What bruce said.

The options really are:

1) Buy a limiter (can be a compressor... a limiter is just a compressor with the ratio set at infinite) and do the following:

• Turn up a reference track to where you consider the volume to be about right.

• Set the compressor to Fast Attack, Fast Release, Infinite Ratio.

• Turn the threshold control back until the Gain Reduction meter on the compressor starts to show just a bit of movement.

• Leave the post-gain alone (since at current, it's not compressing... that's what you want).

• Put a security panel over the compressor so they don't mess with it.

Now, if you increase the level into the compressor by any means, it will 'brickwall' it and the output will be constant.

2) Buy a proper noise control device (formula sound etc) that actually cuts all audio when it gets too loud. That'll probably annoy them enough to get them to turn down.

IMO, the first option is easier and is pretty fool proof, as long as you secure the kit to a point where they can't tamper with it.

Sadly, whatever method you do end up using is unlikely to confound that beast known as 'the teen' for long.

They have ways and means of circumventing any security measures and are becoming even more adept as years go by...

I like the idea of the compressor/limiter, rather than the power off limiter which is really an excuse for not saying that the venue is not suited to music use.

Now for discussion what about a networked solution where all the compressors are network remote controlled and the time profile of your venue noise can be tailored to the neighbours (late classes can be quieter).

Whatever you do it's essential that you get and keep your (teacher) customers on side -hence my hatred of power off limiters- or chuck them out according to your budget requirements.

You will need a special means of noise control for live music classes. (There is a London dance club/class that has a troupe of drummers and they pose different noise problems!)

I've used the Behringer speaker management box for very similar purposes (as well as managing the 3in 6out aspect). It worked really well until someone who should have known better bypassed it for a band evening. It didn't do the drivers any good...

I usually use Cloud copressors for this type of thing, simply because they come with a tamper resistant cover included in the box (fixed on with something like pin-torx srews if I recall). http://www.cloud.co..../viewProduct/22

As do I. But the Drawmer mentioned above will be getting my money the next one I spec I think....

Archived