Problems with CPC

KevinE

Been having alot of problems with CPC recently especially regarding the unprofessional way they are dealing with orders and customers. I suspect they are leaning more towards retail like Maplin.

As an example, this week I needed a power supply to sell on to a school. Well under the free delivery, I bumped up the order value with sundry things; a new hi-viz vest, new corded mic, XLR plugs, 13A plugs etc, stuff we didnt need but would put into stock for eventual use.

The parcel duly came, minus the power supply and a £5.95 delivery charge despite the order being £72.00

After briefly doubting my own sanity, I checked online and saw 'cancelled' written next to the power supply....the one item we desperately needed. CPC had cancelled it from the order without telling me and just sent the rest. The online order still showed the value as being £72.00

The guy on sales said the item had been discontinued and we'd have to pay the handling as the order was now under the required minimum! I said that had I known the item was discontinued, I'd have got the entire order from somewhere else. He said it was probably an error on the website and it wasnt his fault, sometimes the website 'was a little behind'. He took some persuading before admitting it was their fault, not mine that the order had been processed without letting me know before receiving the parcel that the one item I desperately needed was discontinued!

I cancelled the order and managed to get a returns number for the lot.....a wasted hour there.

This is happening more often with CPC, has anyone else had shoddy service off them that they refuse to recognise?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On various occasions I have received incorrect items as the product number listed on there website didn't relate to the product is was linked to. For example I ordered a few mic stands and a set of 20 headphone splitters. when the items arrived it appears that instead of 20 headphone splitters I'd actually ordered 5x100 Blank CD's and had also been charged the additional cost for them too. even though on the purchase order we had sent it clearly stated headphone spliiter in the item description as well as the cost and number of items...

Simply not acceptable. I then had to fight my case for a refund as apparently when the order had arrived the item number on the website had been corrected. Luckily I keep screen dumps of all online orders so I have a record on file...

Had a few odd errors in the past, but NEVER had any trouble when it came to sorting it out.

One bug-bear is how the web-site sometimes remembers your basket between sessions. This has resulted in double orders, or loosing a basket of stuff built up over the course of a day.

One bug-bear is how the web-site sometimes remembers your basket between sessions. This has resulted in double orders, or loosing a basket of stuff built up over the course of a day.

Or getting a whole pile of stuff you'd previously thought about buying but them bought from elsewhere.

Anyone want a pile of assorted smoke and haze fluid?

I've also had the email telling you an item isn't in stock - and then no action even when the anticipated back order date passes.

The weird thing is that Farnell called me and asked if I wanted an account? I did spot the basket contents remaining - but only because the price seemed wrong?

We have an odd problem with them whereby the person who set up the trade account still has their name on everything, despite numerous phone-calls and repeated assurances that the details have been changed... I could understand this for say, a few weeks... But the person who set up the account left 5 years ago!... Hmmm. (tm Ynot) we've truly given up now, and just put my name on the delivery instructions.

EDIT:

Also, there was the incident with an AVR 328P-PU shortage, that lasted 2 months, despite being "in stock". No word from farnell/CPC... We only ever found out there was a worldwide shortage because of the Arduino project's move to using surface mount components...

My recent experience mirrors that of Kevin. A delivery with an item marked no longer stocked incurring a delivery charge. The item is still shown as "awaiting delivery on the website" words exchanged with customer services who were adamant that the item was not available so I would have to pay the delivery charge plus a full delivery charge for an alterative item. Having dug my heels in regarding their sharp practice, I was offered free delivery of the replacement and a refund of the original delivery charge. Thanks to Kevin, I have just checked and guess what, the promised refund has not materialised. I suspect that the phone call that I am about to make will be "interesting"

Brian

I'd have to say this wasn't my experience, when I called about the out of stock item, they cancelled it, I added a couple of small items and had a below the free limit balance - the lady said as it wasn't my fault, she'd waive the delivery charge - I didn't ask?

I had the same as Paul - but only after ordering the part (once again, the only part of the order I was desperate for) and receiving the package, minus the item. No word of it being out of stock at any point, either when looking online, or placing the order by phone. I was desperate for the part and lost 2 days chance to source from elsewhere. Thankfully the woman on the phone waived the delivery charges.

CPC are a massive company, so I suppose there will always be mistakes, but as a pretty regular orderer at work, I have noticed the number of errors in packed items, website stock levels and other mishaps has increased quite a bit recently.

the CD-R thing is an interesting one. I too have ordered an item and had a box of CD-R's turn up instead. Wonder if it's a software thing?

Customer service has been great when problems have occurred, but just recently there are a few too many happening for my liking.

I dont mind mistakes as such because to err is human and we all make them. CPC handle alot of lines and have a gigantic warehouse where things will slip through.

What I can't excuse is the denial that anything is wrong or that they've made a mistake when it's been clearly and courteously explained to them, with proof where necessary.

I am also getting the odd 'special offer' charged to my account at the regular price, not the offer price. Since the offer price is a good incentive to get a parts order together, it rather defeats the object if the regular price is charged.

Low or poor quality staffing levels? Overworked migrant workers? You tell me.

Perhaps I shouldn't say this but I've only had good service from CPC.

I live in Spain, all deliveries have been quick and prompt and very low prices,far less than normal postage rates and they are delivered by UPS.

Cheers

Gerry

A quick update, one phone call and all is sweetness and light. it appears that they forgot to ask for my card details when agreeing the refund, quickly sorted. This is much more like the CPC that I am used to dealing with.

I like a happy ending.

Brian

...I've only had good service from CPC...

To add my +1. I'm also a regular customer and have had nothing but good service. The few mistakes, on both their side and by my own error, have been sorted quickly and to my satisfaction, with either refunds or returns being processed relatively quickly.

...I've only had good service from CPC...

To add my +1. I'm also a regular customer and have had nothing but good service. The few mistakes, on both their side and by my own error, have been sorted quickly and to my satisfaction, with either refunds or returns being processed relatively quickly.

Ditto. Ive never had any issues (touchwood).

In fact I think the customer service is excellent.

Once I ordered a 32 inch flatscreen tele - and it literally arrived at 8.30am at my house the day after ordering it. However, a month later, it went wrong - but CPC were top notch in arranging pick up and sending a replacement - which ended up better than the model I originally ordered.!!

Archived