Uni 2012

Hi there,

I am looking to start university in 2012 on a live event technology course. At the minute I am looking at the SLLET course at Derby and the LET course at Glamorgan. I am currently at sixth form college and my grades when I leave will most probly give me BCC. The entry requirements for SLLET is 240 but looking to go to 280 and LET is 300. I'm worried that I may not get the required entry requirements to get into the Universities.

However, I have 4 years weork experience in the industry working on both small events and large events, some with quite reputable engineers. Will the universities take this work experience into account if I do not meet the required UCAS points?

I know there is quite a few SLLET and LET students and graduates on here, some lecturers too. So I thought this was the right place to ask the question.

Any help wood be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Charlie

PS - Sorry if all this is a daft question!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Charlie,

Rather than go through your academic profile on a public forum, I'm happy to discuss your query via a private message (look in your in box!).

However, as a general rule, we will look at the "whole package" - your GCSE subjects and grades, your BTEC / A level subjects and predicted grades, employment, personal statement and reference. Sometimes we might even look at Blue Room too ;-)

Simon Lewis

Programme Leader, Sound Light & Live Event Technology.

Hi Charlie,

Rather than go through your academic profile on a public forum, I'm happy to discuss your query via a private message (look in your in box!).

However, as a general rule, we will look at the "whole package" - your GCSE subjects and grades, your BTEC / A level subjects and predicted grades, employment, personal statement and reference. Sometimes we might even look at Blue Room too ;-)

Simon Lewis

Programme Leader, Sound Light & Live Event Technology.

What a novel way of meeting Uni lecturers!

Anyone from Salford School of MMP on here?

What a novel way of meeting Uni lecturers!

Well, indeed. Regulars at the BR often remind young contributors that they may well be interacting with potential future employers and the same could be said for their current or future lecturers on industry courses. I can think of a few examples where a member's BR interactions has almost certainly introduced them to the wider world as a potential student/employee.

That doesn't mean that Big Blue Brother is watching but that, while virtual, interaction here is very real. And can be positive for all.

...Speshully if you use the speel-checker and donut use txtspk or yoof jargon.

It may not be fair but should an admissions lecturer have read what some people have posted here in the past it surely must have influenced their decisions, for better or worse.

Hi

I am off to the SLLET course in September (and really looking forward to it! :)). I didn't have the grades when I left school to meet the requirements, but I have worked in theatre (and still do) for two years since leaving. I wrote all this into my CV and personal statement, and contacted the university directly (thanks Simon!). They were very helpful, and I was made an offer a few months ago.

Experience and references from industry people rather than teachers can make a massive difference in what the universities are looking for. I am sure Simon has messaged you something along the lines of that, he was incredibly helpful to me.

Cheers

Dave

I am also off too SLLET in September and also really looking forward too it! I got my offer from three C's at A level and a B at AS if that helps at all? I also wrote in my personal statement about my experience in the industry and the work I've been undertaking during my Gap year in the industry.

Obviously I can't offer any guidance about the course itself, however the main reason why I chose the course was the atmosphere at the open days, both Simon and Kit were very friendly. And also, having spoken to a few people on the course, and also employers, it seems too be a very renowned course throughout the industry!

Sorry I can't be off more help!

James

Count me as a 3rd Member who's off to Derby in September for SLLET. I, like James and Dave, wrote extensively about my experience in my personal statement and received an offer from that and my predicted grades.

The atmosphere at the open day I attended was really nice, it also helped that I went on a really nice day and the entire city looked lovely. The course content suited me down to a tee too. You need to find out about what will be taught to you on every course you consider and then act on this as much as everything else.

Josh

Slightly OT - Hi James and Josh, look forward to meeting you in September

Back on topic - To add to my earlier comment. Meeting the tutors at Derby was really helpful, not just for working out whether they would have me, but in sorting out my aims before uni, and for going.

Hi Charlie

Our entry requirements are in the same region as Derby’s as the course is at a BSc (Hons) level and so is of an academic nature. Similarly we do consider your whole profile when making an offer and we will make a point of talking to you one to one about the course and if is appropriate for you. If you have the potential to reach the entry requirements, it’s always a good idea to apply and take it from there. Furthermore, if you believe you will fall short of the required tariff then applying is still a good idea as there may be other options available to you at Glamorgan.

Phil Hughes

Lecturer - Lighting / Live Event Technology - University of Glamorgan

The course content suited me down to a tee too. You need to find out about what will be taught to you on every course you consider and then act on this as much as everything else.

This is a seriously good piece of advice to anyone looking to apply to a university or drama school - or any other course for that matter. It's important that you go into a Higher Education course with your eyes open as to the areas it covers, the level of detail in specific subject areas of your interest etc. plus the industry profiles of those that will be teaching you.

In our round of interviews for this year, I saw a few candidates that obviously didn't "get" what the Theatre Production course was going to involve or why you would study on it. One candidate even intimated that she thought that it would easier to get a job working backstage than as a performer which is why she didn't apply for a Performing Arts course. That interview went quickly.

Congratulations to you guys going to Derby, including Josh who we also saw at Bath Spa. I even remember pressing him at interview as to why he would even consider doing a TP BA (Hons) instead of a more tech related BSc (Hons) at Derby or Glamorgan! There was a good reason for that line of questioning - As course leaders we want to ensure that the student understands completely what they are getting and how it might fit in with their hope and long term plans. There are a range of courses available in the area of Performance Production (my catch all word for all things backstage-y), all offering different things.

What we are all looking to avoid is misguided students, that turn into disgruntled and vocal students, that turn into drop outs and have the potential for spoiling the learning experience for others because they don't feel they are getting what they thought they'd signed up for.

As Josh says, check course intended learning outcomes and content to make sure you know what you'll be signed up for the next three years.

What we are all looking to avoid is misguided students

Amen to that! After having seen a few problems many years ago, we made a specific point in our literature and open days of the technical nature of Derby's SLLET programme. The fact that we are externally accredited as an Engineering Degree by the IET and that it can lead to IEng status does help reinforce the point.

Students researching courses and Universities should determine what modules they will study, the contact hours, the range of assessements (including exams!) used, whether final year independent study is included and if so, the type of study expected. The percentage of graduates in work (especially in the events industry) and evidence of student employability is also important.

There will be "food labelling" style information required from all institutions soon, so many of these key indicators will be easier to find.

Simon

Archived