High Temperature Oil

peter

We have a noisey Clay Paky Stage Color 300 and would like to oil all of the internal workings.  What's the best oil to use, or will any high-temperature oil do the job?

I cannot answer on the particular item (*), but I have learnt that mineral oil should not be used on plastic "nylon" things, if that is involved here. I rather use "white lithium grease" for temperatures up to around 180 degree Celsius, and copper grease above that.

(Both available from any decent car equipment shop etc).

If pure metal is involved, mineral oil should be fine.

Bronze bearings are not supposed to be oiled, though, as that might wear them even more out. Good cleaning is best here.

(*) I would also ask the manufacturer or similar first, if possible.

I have just had a look in the Martin University hand book - General Service of intelligent Lights, and here is the quote,

"LUBRICATION

Certain parts, such as rotating gobo bearings and focus rails, require periodical lubrication. Use only Martin silicone lubricant, P/N 37302003 (500 ml) or P/N 37302004 (200 ml, in applicator bottle) to lubricate these parts. No other lubricant is approved for use and may cause damage to the fixture if used. Be careful not to get oil on the drive belts or other parts."

This is from Martin, But when I service units in the past I have used The GT85 white grease or any soft but high temp machine oil very thinly on the ball racer or runners, applying not to thick so it will not fly off and stick to the optical components and gobs etc,

But I still often wonder what is the best to use that is sold locally in the shops???

• 10 months later...
Silicone lubricant is what I would go for if its near or on plastic. Thats what I had to use on my remote control car cause the bearing housing was plastic.

Sorry to revive an old thread but I was having a query about Martin's silicone lubricant - is there anything special about Martin's, or can it be 'any old' silicone lubricant? It just seems stupidly expensive - of the order of 40 quid for 200ml - and I probably need some for doing our Mac 250s...

Would RS codes 569-256, 448-0725 or 691-892 be suitable?

TIA

Peter

<><

My DF50 does a wonderful job of lubricating everything, whether I like it or not :P

In all seriousness and bad though this is, I have not seen any performance problems or rubber degredation over the years including CP movers so I'm sure mineral will be just fine.

I would suggest referring to Martin before using any alternative oils within their units. From what I remember of the training course, there was a mention of a special oils department within the factory which created the lubricants to their specifications. No doubt someone from Martin UK will give you a fuller answer.

Archived