Fan on dimmer/switchpack

ladyjayne

Doing lighting and spesh fx for a singing duo next month and they've asked me if it's possible to have their two high velocity fanshttp://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31Ri8YU1fzL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

connected to a dimmer/switch pack so they're controllable by me. They will only be used during certain numbers and the girls want to concentrate on performing and not having to bend down to switch them on and off.

The fans themselves are Bionaire, 18'' B&Q fans with three speed settings.

I would have no qualms connecting them to a switch pack were it not for the fact that the girls want ''the intensity to increase during certain parts of the song''.

What they're basically after is a ''Celine Dion, I drove all night'' kind of effect.

So what I'm trying to ask is it possible to connect them to a dimmer to achieve this?

You won't be able to change the speed by dimming.

You will be able to turn them on and off using a dimmer at full or a switching channel. But most AC fans use synchronous motors which have a preset speed and either run or don't. Also if the dimmer is a cheap one there is a risk of burning out the fan motor (been there, done that).

You could maybe achieve a slower speed by pulsing them on for a second, off for a second.

That's a distinctly a "motor start" application, I'd be much happier using a big clunky contactor to handle the startup current, not even a switch pack.

If you are a competent person then look at the motor switch and find out how it controls the motor speed, then replicate that as a box of contactors and a multi core cable. If you are not confident and competent then hire a DMX controlled fan set.

As above dimmers wont work,well not reliable,to do it properly you need to vary the frequency of the supply voltage,but that aint cheap.The other way of doing it is a variac,about £35 for a 1 amp model.

I've used variacs for similar tasks but with mixed results it has to be said, if you could borrow one from somebody to try it out first that's what I'd recommend.

According to Comet, these fans are three speed. So with some modification and a DMX relay pack it should be possible. Milford Instruments make one but the links on their website seem to be broken.

However, if you have to ask how then you shouldn't be doing it.

Thanks for all the replies and feedback.

I've decided that I'm going to use remote controlled sockets and they will get the fans at one speed only. (well two if you count off)

This is a Low- (read NO-) Budget production for the girls to shoot their new promo video and I'm doing them massive favours allready.

I've got some Milford kit that has I've used to make DMX foggers but I'm not happy butchering that up for a 20 second effect.

I've decided that I'm going to use remote controlled sockets and they will get the fans at one speed only. (well two if you count off)

This is a Low- (read NO-) Budget production for the girls to shoot their new promo video and I'm doing them massive favours allready.

I've got some Milford kit that has I've used to make DMX foggers but I'm not happy butchering that up for a 20 second effect.

Could you use more than 1 fab for each singer? Perhaps hiding a second pair in the wings? Turn one set on for a lesser effect, than turn the second set on for more wind power?

Could you use more than 1 fab for each singer? Perhaps hiding a second pair in the wings? Turn one set on for a lesser effect, than turn the second set on for more wind power?

You got my brain ticking now, They supply me with two fans, I've got a couple myself, and 6 Remote sockets. There is definately room to place them as we have two days for tech, tweak and close-ups with a final shoot with audience which for the effects aspect doesn't matter as much just friends and family to make a lively crowd.

You got my brain ticking now, They supply me with two fans, I've got a couple myself, and 6 Remote sockets. There is definately room to place them as we have two days for tech, tweak and close-ups with a final shoot with audience which for the effects aspect doesn't matter as much just friends and family to make a lively crowd.

it was just a thought, and it seems like you can do it without any budget at all. Good luck

Archived