Elation 100w LED Fresnel

Jamtastic3

Hi BR,

I was having a look around and spotted this.....

http://www.thomann.de/gb/elation_eled_fresnel_100_ww.htm

I couldn't find the thread about a similar type of lantern from the same site but this seems to have been put on their site recently ( I haven't seen this before anyway!)

So, can we say that this indeed gives out an equivilent of 500w halogen power from it's 100w LED source?

Hi BR,

I was having a look around and spotted this.....

http://www.thomann.de/gb/elation_eled_fresnel_100_ww.htm

I couldn't find the thread about a similar type of lantern from the same site but this seems to have been put on their site recently ( I haven't seen this before anyway!)

So, can we say that this indeed gives out an equivilent of 500w halogen power from it's 100w LED source?

Is this not the one Brian tested in this thread:

http://www.blue-room.org.uk/index.php?showtopic=36230

edit: No it isn't, that one was only 50W LED and had a much bluer colour temp.

Well OT, but I do like the description towards the end:

internal multi-voltage power supply, 145W total power draw, includes barn doors

reads as if the 145W includes the barn doors.

Soo 100W for the LED, 45W for the barn doors :** laughs out loud **: :** laughs out loud **: :** laughs out loud **:

Elation's website has these additional specs:

Features

. 100W LED Cool White Theatre Fresnel

. Amazing 10° to 50° Zoom Range

. Internal DMX Control For Dimmer/Strobe

. Case Color: Black

. Replaces 500W Conventional Lights

The ELED Fresnel Series brings all the advantages of Light Emitting Diodes into Stage Lighting. Featuring a 100W LED light source (500W halogen equivalent) and amazing zoom range it offers reliable, easy and cost saving lighting in Clubs, Theaters, Schools and Churches as well as at exhibitions, trade fairs and at commercial applications. Imagine a “unbreakable” light source and ultra low heat development (compared to conventional halogen lights), full DMX control, and improved zoom capabilities. There is no need for running thick power multicores, installing expensive dimmer racks and high-power current supply anymore while at the same time expiring the whole advantage of LED based lighting.

Colors

. 100W LED Warm White Light Source

. Barn doors included

. Filter frame included

Shutter/Dimmer

. Strobe: Strobe effect (1-18 flashes per second)

. Dimmer: 0- 100% Smooth Dimming via DMX

. Flicker Free

Light Source

. Lux: 979 Lux / 91 FC at 10’ / 3M at full

. Lamp: 1 x 100 Watt LED

. Lamp Life: 100W, 3,800K, 50,000 hrs. life

Optical System

. 10° to 50° manual zoom

Control

. DMX Channels: 1 or 2 channels, 2 DMX control modes

. LED Menu Display

. USITT DMX-512

. Internal DMX control for dimmer/strobe

. Silent Fan Cooling

. On Board Control

. Stand Alone

Operation Parameters

. IP Rating: IP 20

. Rigging: Single Yoke Bracket / safety and data cable optional

Power Supply

. Power Supply: Electronic, multi-voltage 120v-240V 50/60hz

. Power Consumption: 120W

Connectors

. 3 pin and 5 pin XLR data input & output

. Cable / Plug Type: IEC 120v US

Dimensions and Weight

. Dimensions: (LxWxH) 14.5” x 9.84” x 14.5” / 368.3 x 250 x 368.3mm

. Weight: 11.6 lbs / 5.3 kg

Approvals

. CE Approved - ETL Pending

Look harder :)

It's a different version to the one you tested Brian, looks like they have updated the LED source.

So they have. Perhaps they read my review and decided that claiming a 45W LED module was equivalent to a 500W TH source was a bit of a stretch!

It's a different version to the one you tested Brian, looks like they have updated the LED source.

So they have. Perhaps they read my review and decided that claiming a 45W LED module was equivalent to a 500W TH source was a bit of a stretch!

I still doubt they will get there with a 100W warm white LED, as the efficiency of warm white is much lower than cool white, but as usual no figures are given.

Well, if the main change is just to the LED source in the unit then all my general comments will still stand. However, with a 100W source it'll be a lot closer in output to the TH units.

As always, it'll depend what you want to do with it. A fresnel unit implies that its main use will be for washes which are usually in white or a light tint. If run alongside TH sources there will be a noticeable difference in colour rendering which may need correction on one or other of the unit types.

I can see this sort of unit being used out front for smaller rigs used by bands and musicians with LED cans providing the colour. The wide adjustment range on the beam angle will allow a decent OW/tint cover from quite close in which is something you'll never do with the current crop of LED cans.

They'll also do great for low power gigs.

I took some lighting along to our school christmas carol concert this year. The church only has a 60A supply, on old victorian cabling, and the tea urn wants 10 of them, as does the heating fans, etc. I ended up limiting myself to 4 Quartets for facelight, which didn't give me the even coverage I wanted (and this shows terribly on the DVD...), and our 5 pixeltrack pros for uplighting pillars.

A box full of these things and a bag of DMX cable would do much better for that sort of portable event than a dimmer and a trunk full of heavy 15A cable.

• 1 year later...

RE: LED Zoom Fresnel's - I'm planning on testing the eLumen8 100 watt zoom fresnel in some Manchester theatres, should be with us by mid August from Prolight, so I'll know the results by end of August/ beginning September.

https://prolight.co.uk/PRO/item.php?id=509399&PHPSESSID=100c33ec89a44c5173e5bde240bb25f8

Here's the spec

1x 100W Cool White LED (5600K)<li>Beam angle: 10-50 degrees, manually adjusted<li>400Hz refresh rate<li>0-100% dimming and variable strobe<li>4 dimming curves in both LED and halogen profiles:

Linear, square law, inverse square law and S-curve<li>DMX channels: 1 or 3 selectable<li>Dimming, master/slave and DMX<li>4 push button menu with LCD display<li>Powercon in socket<li>5-pin XLR in/out sockets<li>Fan cooled<li>Filter frame included

Does the Elation have selectable dimming curves?

I'll post the outcome of the tests here soon.

If any of you need a demo please contact me.

ELUM042A-wb0.JPG

The trouble with resurrecting old threads is when you go onto the original link and find :-

"Sorry!

The item Elation ELED 100 Fresnel WW is not part of our current product range anymore."

Indeed... this is a major issue with LED lighting, products have such a short lifespan. If you buy something, don't plan on being able to buy any more the same in 12 months time.

...this is a major issue with LED lighting, products have such a short lifespan. If you buy something, don't plan on being able to buy any more the same in 12 months time.

Or spares - ever.

Archived