Elation 100w LED Fresnel

Jamtastic3

...this is a major issue with LED lighting, products have such a short lifespan. If you buy something, don't plan on being able to buy any more the same in 12 months time.

Or spares - ever.

But Brian, why would you even need spares, LED fixtures last for 50,000 hours don't they? :)

I doubt that spares would be much needed.

The LED source is claimed to have a very long life, if this is not achieved then I doubt that replacement is viable as it is probably a fair part of the cost of a complete new lantern.

And hopefully by the time it fails, improved versions will be available at lower prices.

The cooling fan should be readily available from RS or others.

Prolight ... provide spares for all their products and offer a repair service to.

How far back do they go? It seems a common problem is getting hold of spares for anything over a couple of years old.

The two main problems with led lights are -

1- I dont like the higher color temp' which is usually 5000k, would prefer 3000k.

2 - Most claims about brightness outputs are bogus.

Thats not to say LED's dont have a place,

Cause they do,

but I wont be ditching my conventinals just yet !

I have changed my opinion on LED equipment from my firmly held views on dimness recently. The short shelf life of a product does seem to have been driven by the rapid evolution of the light sources. Quite by accident I've bumped into lots of different types of kit containing LEDs from big brand LED products to what I would have called disco tat! Light output was 'normal' whatever that means. Those disco things that project splodges of light in time with the music - one act coming through our venue for the past 15 years always uses a couple at various points in the show and I always thought them a bit pointless as they didn't really cut it wit the rest of the lights. Stage lighting levels in the place have doubled in terms of power usage over the past three or four years with more, rather than replacement kit, and suddenly there are big bright shafts of light - being nosey, they're LEDs, some ARRIs on a video job turned up as the LEDs and just replaced the old 1Ks, and my recent bump into bright, cheap LED movers was positive too. Add a few people with LED cans that look like my 3 year old ones - and made them look like glow worms has convinced me progress has been very rapid. 7 LED battens I have across the stage edge light my cyc much brighter than these dim LED cans on a bar ten times closer. With the exception of the ARRIs - they're cheap too.

The only sad thing - brightness wise as an off topic comment - one of our 5 year old Pearl River 1200W HTI follows spots died in a puff of smelly smoke, and it's the second time it's done it, so I ordered a replacement Stairville from Germany which looks identical. In the meantime, I pulled out the old Strand 1K CSI - the working one of a pair the Pearl River's replaced, and have spent ages trying to get the Strand, made in 1976, to match - because it's brighter! That's progress. No budget for follow spots of equivalent quality. A newby girl spot op, never having seen, let alone used one before has now used both and prefers the Strand! That's progress in a different direction.

Prolight ... provide spares for all their products and offer a repair service to.

How far back do they go? It seems a common problem is getting hold of spares for anything over a couple of years old.

Brian, Prolight Concepts have been in business in the north west for over ten years, pm me and I can send you a product brochure.

The two main problems with led lights are -

1- I dont like the higher color temp' which is usually 5000k, would prefer 3000k.

2 - Most claims about brightness outputs are bogus.

Thats not to say LED's dont have a place,

Cause they do,

but I wont be ditching my conventinals just yet !

You can correct the high colour temp with a filter such as the lee cl104 to appear as a tungsten

http://www.leefilters.com/lighting/led-02.html

With regards to lumen output the photometric chart is on the link for the eLumen8 zoom fresnel under the specifications tab.

...Prolight Concepts have been in business in the north west for over ten years.

My question was more aimed at the spares availability policy.

As an example, I can still get spares for 20-year old Minuette fresnels.

You can correct the high colour temp with a filter such as the lee cl104 to appear as a tungsten

With regards to lumen output the photometric chart is on the link for the eLumen8 zoom fresnel under the specifications tab.

Do you know if the angles quoted are Field, Beam or Cut-Off?

With regards to the beam angles, awaiting confirmatiion with the suppliers.

Prolight currently hold spares for all their product range, plus item such as power supplies are generic and can fit many items.

Sorry but I cannot predict how long they will keep spares for this particular item, however I will find out for you.

http://www.leefilter...ing/led-02.html

These LED filters are an interesting idea, but because of the weird colour spectrum of a white LED, the colour rendering of the light can be quite different to a halogen source even though on a white surface it looks the same. Like a discharge lamp they are very weak in the red wavelengths, so if you try to light something red, the LED light appears much dimmer than halogen light.

• 2 weeks later...

...Prolight Concepts have been in business in the north west for over ten years.

My question was more aimed at the spares availability policy.

As an example, I can still get spares for 20-year old Minuette fresnels.

Do you know if the angles quoted are Field, Beam or Cut-Off?

Brian

With regards to spares availability, here is the reply from the suppliers

"When we discontinue an item, we keep the majority of spares for many years following. We keep more pieces of the more important items such as LED, Fan, power supply, Main PCB, Control IC.

We would keep less of the metal chassis, barndoor etc"

The quoted angles are confirmed by Prolight as beam.

Archived