Video Playback

lightingyoung

Hi all,

Am helping a friend out on a panto in a couple of weeks who is using projection, I asked him how is he playing it back and hes using powerpoint.

I know there is no budget to hire a media server etc, and I have tried searching but I might be wording it wrong.

Are there any free or very cheap play back software he could use instead?

Cheers

Both free:

Screen Monkey: works well, but isn't a cue based environment. You load videos onto various layers (you can have multiple 'layers' of video) and then click on the appropriate video to play it. The clicking can be automated using midi or Artnet (artnet is a paid extra).

Multiplay: a cue based audio/visual setup, but I've had reliability issues with its video playback. Operated with space bar as go button.

PowerPoint is poor at video. And I would never suggest it's use.

Personal recommendation would be Screen Monkey.

Though to be honest you could just set Media Player Classic up to run on a second monitor (Options -> Playback/Output -> Fullscreen Monitor) and have the Video files on the first monitor ready to trigger. (Don't forget to take off the Logo if you do this though :-) )

It will work fine, and play everything you can throw at it.

On a side note you can do the same with WinAmp and I have used that solution to output video to projectors at the Skydome in Coventry during the past Wrestling Supershow's.

If you want any advice then feel free to drop me a message.

Regards,

Nekura

You might also want to look at one of the bits of software designed for Church use - paid for progs like MediaShout or the free ones like OpenLP (open source) or ZionWorx. Any of these will let you do cue-based video presentation.

Screen Monkey: The clicking can be automated using midi

Multiplay: a cue based audio/visual setup, but I've had reliability issues with its video playback. Operated with space bar as go button.

Why not use Screen Monkey for the video playback and Multiplay MIDI messages to cue and control it. You could even use MIDI Via Net to run them on different machines if necessary.

in the last show we did, I used VLC because it was more reliable than Quicktime for the high bitrate videos I was playing (blu-ray quality 40+mbps)

There were issues getting it to play ball but since I was using a vision mixer I just had to fade it up so I could have it ready to roll in the background. Other option is the shutter on the projector (mine is IP controlled so that was an easy work around too).

If Quicktime plays it, its a simple ctrl+F with the output set to the second window.

Archived