TurnItIn

Just thought I would mention that I found the TurnItIn bot trawling the forum this morning, and I know universities use the service a fair bit. So, Careful Now...

...and a very powerful tool it is too. Of course, there's nothing wrong with referencing a quote from Blue Room... (Lane, 2007).

Lane, K., 2007, Blue Room discussion forum, viewed 13th October 2010, http://www.blue-room.org.uk/index.php?s=&a...st&p=321727

Just thought I would mention that I found the TurnItIn bot trawling the forum this morning, and I know universities use the service a fair bit. So, Careful Now...

...and a very powerful tool it is too. Of course, there's nothing wrong with referencing a quote from Blue Room... (Lane, 2007).

Lane, K., 2007, Blue Room discussion forum, viewed 13th October 2010, http://www.blue-room.org.uk/index.php?s=&a...st&p=321727

Agreed! This cralwer is nothing to be afraid of - Turnitin can help students learn how to interpret and paraphrase what they read without merely regurgitating it verbatim. You would not believe the amount of students (usually the 'kids') who copy and paste whole paragraphs from wikipedia and the like (where there is a lot of misinformation) and submit it as their own work. And then wonder what the problem is when you pull them up on it!

Dave C.

(been known to show a few young people a thing or two here and there...)

We had a tutorial to discuss TII on monday. Apparently, it can also find text where word order has been altered. It's quite a good system, but there are only a certain number of ways to word certain things. Our example had the following highlighted, which would be quite hard to rephrase:

Such crack networks can be avoided through the use of a low temperature interlayer of AlGaN-GaN interface for example, but these methods are not suitable in all cases and can cause an increases threading dislocation density.

This was, apparently, highlighted by TII, although we agreed that it would be almost impossible to rephrase.

Such crack networks can be avoided through the use of a low temperature interlayer of AlGaN-GaN interface for example, but these methods are not suitable in all cases and can cause an increases threading dislocation density.

This was, apparently, highlighted by TII, although we agreed that it would be almost impossible to rephrase.

Using the correct participles, sentence construction and spelling make it very easy to rewrite in a readable form which actually means something!

A low temperature interlayer of AlGaN-GaN can be used to avoid these crack networks. However, this method is not suitable in all cases as it may cause the crack threading dislocation density to increase.

Incidentally, using a Gallium Nitride layer doped with Indium on a Sapphire substrate, is an even better solution to the crack problem when manufacturing HEMFETs.

...we agreed that it would be almost impossible to rephrase.

But surely, it isn't necessarily about rephrasing (although obviously there can be a place for that). The plagiariser looks to change the phrase slightly so as make it look like his own work.

Moon (2006) states that pendeoepitaxy on patterned templates has been proven to be efficient for reducing threading dislocation densities in GaN thin films.

Would be usable...

Using the correct participles, sentence construction and spelling make it very easy to rewrite in a readable form which actually means something!

A low temperature interlayer of AlGaN-GaN can be used to avoid these crack networks. However, this method is not suitable in all cases as it may cause the crack threading dislocation density to increase.
Incidentally, using a Gallium Nitride layer doped with Indium on a Sapphire substrate, is an even better solution to the crack problem when manufacturing HEMFETs.
Brilliant, this just shows the spectacular breadth of membership and personal knowledge present on the BR!

To keep this post vaguely on topic, our uni wrote a system called BOSS for source code submission, which both checked your submission compiled and worked, and checked for source code plagiarism. Now there really are only so many ways you can write the more basic programs.

You would not believe the amount of students (usually the 'kids') who copy and paste whole paragraphs from wikipedia and the like (where there is a lot of misinformation) and submit it as their own work. And then wonder what the problem is when you pull them up on it!

I actually saw a teenage student on the bus the other day, doing what I presumed to be their RE homework - this seemed to consist of them sitting there with a printed copy of the Wikipedia page on Islam, and writing it out, verbatim, starting with "Islam (Arabic: الإسلام‎ al-’islām, pronounced [ʔislæːm])".

Anyway... I'll stop now before I drag this thread off topic!

A relative, while in uni, was tasked to write a basic essay on the British monarchy around the time of Henry VIII. So along with most of her group went straight to Wiki for a verbatim copy. Later it transpired that the tutor had subtly altered wiki for that evening only with some items specially chosen to be obvious evidence of copy and paste cheating.

I did a BTEC visit and was pleased to see the work was from one of the lighting units - quite rare, really. The teacher was so proud of one of his students - and was extolling his amazing knowledge on Fresnels. "It's a shame about the typo on the next page, though" I said. Confused, he turned over and there was the classic word corrected "luminary" auto-corrected from the correct "luminaire". "How did you know?". The student had copied the entire thing from my own article on a web page I wrote years before and had forgotten was even out there!

What are the chances of that!

The only issue with turn it in is when it references phrases like "therefore, it can be found that" to about a million and 1 papers on random subjects!

Or when it claims that you've plagiarised the BibTek entries from other papers!

• 3 weeks later...
What are the chances of that!

Some years ago a very eminent RE figure of my acquaintance was acting as an external assessor for a taught Masters. Looking at a dissertation he was astonished to find himself touted as being in favour of school worship - a position he has never held! Examining it more closely he found that the candidate had simply left out the word 'not' in a reference completely reversing his stated position. Needless to say the work was subjected to rather more rigorous review than might otherwise have been the case.

Students - bear that little story in mind!

Archived