What do you all read?

Modge

As some of you may (hopefully!) have noticed we (Trace Lighting) have been buying a bit of advertising lately and with a mind to buying some more I was wondering what people actually read?

There's a plethora of magazines vying for your attention, many of them free or included with membership to one or another industry group but in an effort to spend money wisely I was wondering what people actually read?

I've refrained from adding a poll, because I suspect most of the choices would in any case be "other"

Not quite answering the question but one thing that normally catches my attention is when suppliers send out an email about a demo day. These emails go straight to all of said suppliers customer base and are generally focused on just one or two new products that they are demoing.

Obviously this would require that you set up such a demo. But if I was looking to buy a new console even if it is just software and a DMX dongle, I'd rather try it with some fixtures and with someone there who knows it well.

I get L&SI, but don't a) always read it, or b) really read adverts.

I'm very aware that's a pretty common option- I get several magazine's that don't get read much and the same has to be said by others I've spoken to, that's why we don't have any print advertising yet.

Really this thread is in the hope of finding one that people actually do read, though similar I get it but don't read it comments help me justify my decision to take circulation figures with a whole cellar full of salt.

I get LSI and invariably read bits that look good. I have recently started reading more of it though.

I also get the http://www.etnow.com/ thing. Which is ok but reminds me of "OK" or "HELLO" with 4 pages of pics from some event. Last few ones have had at least 1 pic of Mark White, and Richard Pilbrow and one other whos name escapes me.

I get L&SI (and on a side note, I don't have the first clue how or why I get it - it just arrives in the post), and rarely actually read it. The only real industry-related thing that I read is ALD Focus, because it is the only one that really interests me. The audience of Focus may not be the audience that you want to advertise to though.

I used to read my boss's NIGHT magazines since it's the part of the industry I work in the most. Not sure what's happened to them now since my boss hasn't had any in for months. They tend to focus on nightclubs and bars that have money to burn which isn't always great but you do get to see some amazing and interesting venues.

L&Si; TPi; Sightline (ABTT); Stage Screen Radio (BECTU) and I flick over the email newsletter that ETnow send, though for some reason I no longer get the magazine (did they stop doing a print copy? Bueller?)

And while I'll go through the magazines, I rarely pay attention to the advert pages unless they take up the whole page ...

I 've also started to receive an AV installation magazine out of the blue - something like InAVate I think - though this turns up irregularly

I rarely pay attention to the advert pages unless they take up the whole page ...

Indeed, I was thinking full page or nothing.

Many thanks everyone for your responses, obviously any more responses will also be useful.

Archived