dimming lights

Matthew Robinson

Yeah, that might be a problem.

Assuming that that wasn't a problem, would it be the case that live from the plug/inlet would go to the inlet for the dimmer and the output of the dimmer would go to the socket/outlet; neutral just goes straight through from plug/inlet to socket/outlet; and earth goes from plug/inlet to socket/outlet via connections to extrenous metal parts?

If you're not sure, you really should consult an electrician or a qualified person. As I'm sure you are aware, electricity is not the area to be making mistakes in, and if you mis-wire it according to someone's advice on here, the excuse "but I did it how they told me on the Blue Room" won't stand up in court if there was an accident and someone got hurt.

Yeah, that might be a problem.

Assuming that that wasn't a problem, would it be the case that live from the plug/inlet would go to the inlet for the dimmer and the output of the dimmer would go to the socket/outlet; neutral just goes straight through from plug/inlet to socket/outlet; and earth goes from plug/inlet to socket/outlet via connections to extrenous metal parts?

Sorry, there are no such thing as inlets or outlets. A plug is a physical thing!

Try explaining your circuit again as the above makes no sense!

- The Dodge

Sorry, there are no such thing as inlets or outlets. A plug is a physical thing!

Try explaining your circuit again as the above makes no sense!

Sorry, I was thinking something like this:

L ------ Dimmer Mains Input (L1)   L
SL        Dimmer Output (~) ------ SL
N -------------------------------  N
E --- Extraneous metal parts ----  E

Hope this clears it up! :D

Sorry if im taking this the wrong way but hopefully you can clarify....

Are you asking: Conntecting the V+ and V- of the supply to the V+ and V- of the dimmer then at the other end all you would need to do is connect the V+ and V- of the dimmer output to the V+ and V- of your lantern?

Or are you talking about a common ground circuit?

Mr7526 - in what context are you asking the question?

Do you have a practical lighting fixture you want the talent to 'operate' from a switch/dimmer on stage, or is it something else?

If the dimmer is of the 'lightswitch type', then all the ones I've seen have been labelled very clearly - and don't usually have connections on both conductors - in the way that a switched spur would. They simply have an in and an out.

I hate saying this, but this really is a very simple things to do - and the fact you're asking is what worries us - hence the rather negative replies.

We can't in all honesty recommend you attempt this by giving instructions.

Your dimmer is likely to have one in, one out (probably labelled L1) and the terminal for the earth.

Please don't ask us for any more info, it's too worrying.

There is no scope for neutral in d0m35tic lighting circuits, therefore the dimmer is basically single pole. Live from the plug goes to the 'mains in' terminal of the dimmer, switched live goes from the 'dimmed output' terminal of the dimmer to the live terminal of the socket. Neutral and Earth pass from plug to socket unhindered EXCEPT that extraneous metal parts are earthed, as stated above.

I was pretty sure that that was what needed doing, I just wanted to post something so that if I had done something wrong it would have been spotted.

E2A: YNot, there was a practical reason for it, but I suspect that the amount of power that would be drawn would overload it in this instance.

"Pretty sure" won't pass in a court of law.

If you are unsure, PLEASE, consult an electrican.

What would have happened if I had posted a reply and suggested something like tying the neutral to the chassis, and leaving the earth disconnected, and you had followed my instructions because you didn't know any better, and hurt or killed someone?

End of story.

E2A: YNot, there was a practical reason for it, but I suspect that the amount of power that would be drawn would overload it in this instance.

The point of my question was are you trying to achieve something in a theatre setting? In which case there are other ways of achieving what you may be trying to do...

What your asking is the basics.

The light switch on my wall is wired the same way.

The V+ goes into the switch, the V- just bypasses everything.

Whether it is sigle pole or not doesn't really matter in this situation.

Please, please, please DO NOT start messing with circuits. Im not trying to put you down, but if you are not sure how to wire a simple circuit, let alone a dimmer don't do it.

If you do not know what you are doing - Leave it!!!!!

Also - What the **** is a d0m3stic dimmer?

Also - What the **** is a d0m3stic dimmer?

Do mes tic... the addition of the numbers is supposed to mean that the Google search spider won't index this page when searching- because otherwise we get to the top of the results for do mes tic electrics and when people are wanting to know how to wire their homes they come here- except that that's not what we do.

Archived