dimming lights

Matthew Robinson

Right, I don't think I communicated all that well, especially towards the end.

So, what I have gleaned from this is:

- It is possible to dim a 'normal' fixture from a d0m35tic dimmer switch

- It is wired in the way that I was pretty sure about (and when I say 'pretty sure', I basically mean 'almost unshakably certain of'. I do have a habit of understating these things.)

- My communication skills are in melt down ATM.

When I said 'There is no scope for neutral in lighting circuits', I meant (and should have written) 'There is no scope for switching neutrals in d0m35tic lighting circuits'.

I hope this has placated you all somewhat more than my earlier offerings?

Yes a dom3st1c dimmer will work with a normal theatrical lantern. But the standard sizes for these things are 250 and 400 watts, the biggest I've seen on a single switch plate is 500watts and on a twin plate 1000watts.

Other concerns about this include how you mount the dimmer as they are designed to fit on either a pattress or flush wall box, neither of which have suitable cable grips for use with flexible cables.

I still think it would be useful for the OP to tell us exactly how he was thinking of using the dimmer with regard to theatre applications - that may very well help with any further advice.

Otherwise I'd say it was time for the prancing padlocks...

Moderation:

OK, here's what we've learned.

Dimmers designed for use in the home or workplace can sometimes be used for dimming theatre lighting, as long as the user is careful to check the wattage of the lantern against the maximum wattage of the dimmer. The dimmer would be wired in the same way for theatre use as for any other use. If you don't know 100% what you are doing then don't attempt to do any wiring at all, unless supervised by someone who does know.

There we are: the whole thread shortened to 3 sentences!

And now for the promissed padlocks...

:D :(

Archived