Avolites History

Ken Coker

ElectricTuna:

What you describe are two, possibly related issues... From memory (20 years - diagram not available, see previous post - and pending a look at my antique...) The channels are outputted via an internal serial analogue stream that is selected for output via cmos 5051 analogue switches logic switched & synched to the stream (demultiplexed)....and then sample and held for output...

Some thoughts:

1 faulty digital to analog converter, locate ( ! ) check data there and output with scope of some sort...

2 cross talk/fault in logic that ties cpu outputs to address of channels & data for converter

3 Lo order addesses being fed into serial data line ?

At this point.in time some of the programmable array logics (if used) might also loose programming or even the ROMs, not to mention dry joints, corrosion... PLAs are also used in effects and it was always difficult to tell owners the bad news when repairs cannot be done since they are a factory exclusive Ítems.

(ps rambling answer from friend's horrible virtuall tablet - long live real tactile neanderthal desks and keyboards !)

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got another RQ30 (sold for parts) and combined the working parts to make one functioning machine, and it is likely to work correctly!

Anyhow, thank you for your advice: swarpman, timsabre.

My next task is to "utilize" this RQ30. Does anyone know the answers of following question?:

1. Can I replace the floppy drive of RQ30 to 2HD floppy drive or something newer media? (e.g. CF, SD, etc...)

(What kind of the format for RQ30's floppy? 2D? 2DD? / Original format or Compatible with PC/AT or something?)

2. Does RQ30 have "All Clear" command? I want to erase all memories in the submasters and chasers.

3. I want to retrofit RQ30 to output DMX signal. Does anyone know the good idea to do it?

This may be off the track, but there are very few forums to talk topics like this... excuse me.

Edited by ElectricTuna

How about one of these:

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B0083Z29JO

No idea how well they will work in this desk but I believe they work fine on the Frogs etc.

Nick

That device should work.

Most desks that use floppy have ordinary computer drives, with a floppy connector and 4 pin floppy power connector.

Just unscrew the old one, insert a USB emulator one, and it should work straight away!

How about one of these:

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B0083Z29JO

No idea how well they will work in this desk but I believe they work fine on the Frogs etc.

Nick

That device should work.

Most desks that use floppy have ordinary computer drives, with a floppy connector and 4 pin floppy power connector.

Just unscrew the old one, insert a USB emulator one, and it should work straight away!

This is not necessarily the case, we are not talking about a PC here, this is a very old console from the days when the floppy drive was the latest thing and a microcontroller of that time had to use all sorts of tricks to be able to read the data off it fast enough.

Avo consoles used custom motherboards and will have had bespoke software to control the drive, which may or may not work with a floppy emulator.

• 2 months later...

The TD console, or fully the QM-500TD, was Avolites' foray into the theatrical market.

Bit of thread necromancy:

Astonishingly (to me), one has just popped up on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Avolites-500-QM-TD-Lighting-Control-Desk-/301996146297?

It made me hunt around for information about it and I found this thread! Looks like a fascinating unit. The oldest Avo desk I've used (and indeed still use) is a Pearl 2000...

Ian Sommerville - who sometimes pops up on here (Hi Ian!!) - had a hand in the development of this. He had one built for Opera North and there was one in Blackpool.

I may have a manual for it somewhere.

KC

Oh.....I appear to have started this thread some years ago..... :)

Edited by Ken Coker

• 2 years later...

Hi

Sorry to bring this to life again.

In the course of researching Avolites history for Theatrecrafts.com / Backstage Heritage Collection, I came across the text about the 8100 series by a student of Ken Coker's, and have included it on the page about the 8100 at http://www.theatrecrafts.com/pages/home/archive/equipment/detail/?id=20619

I'd be very happy to credit the student, or obviously can remove the text if that's what's wanted.

I'd be interested in hearing about any other 8100s that still exist, especially if any are functional. There are two 8100s in Jim Laws' collection (part of the NEET collection at some point, I think) which may be heading to White Light for display soon.

Thanks

Jon Primrose

Theatrecrafts.com

I'd be very happy to credit the student, or obviously can remove the text if that's what's wanted.

Dear Jon

Blimey...is this still going on...

I have a copy of the dissertation of which this was part of if you would like to see it.

My email is kwf.coker at geemail.com

(Simon Lewis, if you're reading this, what is the position on releasing student work and are we in contact with Kevin Sysum to ask him?)

Thanks

KC

• 1 year later...

Hi folks!

I have recently acquired the QM TD that used to belong to the Doyle Carte Opera Company and started this thread looking for help with it. It is also now in Edinburgh and works though is currently severely cosmetically challenged!

If anyone is still interested in stories about the pre QM analogue AVO desks I toured them a lot in the early 1980s. Really lovely robust operator's desks, as were the QM500s

AVO8 :)

• 1 year later...

Wow. This is a blast from the past. I'm the student who did the final year project on the 80/100 series back in 2005-ish. I'm sure I'll have a copy of my dissertation somewhere. If anyone on this thread is still interested, do get in touch.

A great big "Hello" to Ken C and Simon L. It's been a long time. I trust you're both well.

Wow. This is a blast from the past. I'm the student who did the final year project on the 80/100 series back in 2005-ish. I'm sure I'll have a copy of my dissertation somewhere. If anyone on this thread is still interested, do get in touch.

A great big "Hello" to Ken C and Simon L. It's been a long time. I trust you're both well.

Good to hear from you!!

Like many old Avo desks, I'm officially retired, but still get out to play with stuff from time to time ;-)

Feel free to DM me!