Warm Mac500

medina

It's happened! Now in worry mode

To clarify, are you saying it's the head casing that's really hot (which is normal) or the base unit (which is not so)...?

Either way, if it's shut the lamp off because it is too hot then a quick and easy first check is on the fan inlets - any obvious clogging of the vents?

Head fan connectors can pop off from time to time. Follow the cables (generally black and red) from the fan to the pcb the connector is mounted on and check all are firmly plugged in. A disconnected cable is more likely than a dead head fan, though if this has been slowly happening over a long period of time could be a fan wearing out. Keeping units clean is a very good start.

I stripped the offending unit this afternoon, fans were a bit dusty, but running ok. All cleaned out so hopefully all fixed. Will test on Monday. If this has not worked where should I look next?

Just because the fans were running when you looked doesn't mean they are always working - the little PCB that the fan connects to is very susceptible to dry/cracked solder joints.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
I'd strongly caution AGAINST upgrading the fans (unless martin gives the ok) because they use specific fans for specific reasons. Installing a more powerfun fan could draw too much current damaging other components or causing a voltage drop within the PCB.

You should accurately measure the temp of the casing,use an electronic measuring thermometer

then ring martin and ask them!

Its sometimes quite normal for these things to run quite warm,

But what one person calls hot another person might call warm,

contact martin and find out what is normal!

Modern electronics will work quite happily at up to 85 degs.

I stripped the offending unit this afternoon, fans were a bit dusty, but running ok. All cleaned out so hopefully all fixed. Will test on Monday. If this has not worked where should I look next?

The OP siad that "I have just borrowed a couple of Mac500's".

If it was me I would go and ask the person or shop that I borrowed them from and ask and not go taking them apart and trying fixing it.

I'd strongly caution AGAINST upgrading the fans (unless martin gives the ok) because they use specific fans for specific reasons. Installing a more powerfun fan could draw too much current damaging other components or causing a voltage drop within the PCB.

Surely if you just bought fans with a higher airflow but have the SAME current/voltage (and other various specs), this would be an advanced benefit.

Archived