Skype Interview Dress Code!??

MobileMikey

Hi folks,

I know this topic has been covered in depth in the past and I've read all the archived posts, but I have a more specific question. I have a skype interview for Royal Caribbean next week and I'm confused as how to dress. The interview is for a position as Sound tech. Its at 11 AM and I will be working soon afterwards so would it be ok to wear my blacks? Nothing with "crew" or past productions on it, just like a plain black t-shirt or long sleeved t-shirt. What do you guys think??

I know I can do well in the interview and I know my stuff so I really don't want to fluff it because of being underdressed, but I don't want to look like an idiot by being overdressed(at home, at 11AM, wearing a suit n tie????)

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks M

I'd go for some sort of dark shirt (proper shirt, not a T-shirt). not a suit and not a tie, but I'd definately wear a shirt!

I'd also try and get a light plain background behind you in shot (will give better contrast with the camera)

(And, if you're feeling silly, wear bermuda shorts too...how would they ever know?)

Allegedly that was common practice when reading the BBC 6-o-clock news, back in the Richard Baker/Kenneth Kendall/Robert Dougall days. Dinner Jacket and shirt on camera, and shorts behind the desk. TV lights were warm....

Don't wear blacks - black may not resolve well on camera, plus it really is "overalls" for work. Probably think Golf Club and wear a nice shirt. However, importantly, You may carry off a good interview but the background may lose it for you! Check that anything in the background of the shot supports your application or is neutral. Check also that your busy life does not intrude on the interview session. Make time by clearing some diary space and removing distractions like the phone ringing pets etc.

The interview will be won in the centre of the frame or lost in the background (and corners) and in the backing track (phones, shouting, etc)

11am on the internet? I'd be in my 'dressing gown and bed-hair look'... but then again that might not go down well in an interview. Another vote for shirt and neutral background.

Thanks for all the advice guys, I'm going out to buy a shirt now.

My Computer is in my home studio/office/storeroom so theres all kinds of stuff in the background- Racks, LS9, Speaker Cabinets etc. Do you think I should move it to another room? I don't want to look as if I've planted that stuff in the background just for the interview

If it supports your application put in in the shot if it doesn't support you take it OUT. One girly calendar in view and you have likely lost the interview before you speak. If they see lots of rack gear they may well ask why you want to be on a boat using their gear and yours not earning it's keep.

Do a test call to a friend at 11am the previous morning, just to check that the look works - ie you can be seen well, and everything looks and sounds good. This is a technician job, and you don't want to be let down by tech stuff not working well.

Most employers attach great importance to safety, or at least to "elf an safety tick lists" therefore if your home stores/workshop is to be the background, then ensure that everything looks safe, especialy on camera, perhaps to someone non-technical.

No overloaded shelving, no unwise stacking of cases or boxes, no blocked doorways, no loops of cable hanging loose where they could catch on persons, or goods being moved, no out of date PAT stickers, no edged or bladed tools lying arround etc.

If any part of the fixed electrical installation will be on view, double check for cracked or damaged light switches and sockets, broken light fittings, untidy surface wiring and the like, rectify or hide as required.

If the normal room lighting will be in view, make certain that all lamps work, and are the same and suitable types.

I would agree that a proper shirt is the thing to wear.

Hmmm...

Whilst I'd agree with the above in principle, I'd suspect that the majority of the screen at the other end is (or should) be taken up with the interviewee's head & shoulders, possibly upper torso etc. Anything less is going to make it difficult for the interviewers to relate to the applicant. Think body language & facial expressions etc. (So obvioulsy be careful about that as well, as it's highly likely your interview may be recorded for later playback/analysis).

So whilst the background in general IS important, I wouldn't necessarily go quite so far as Adam - I can't see them zooming in on the background to check the date on a PAT label, for example, and at 11am, I would expect that you wouldn't be expecting to see any electric lights on unless the day was very overcast...

Just look for any obvious faux pas and either sort it or move it.

But a general tidiness is all I'd be aiming for.

They're interested in you, not your spare bedroom/office.

Archived