Soldering Irons

Humey

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've actually had bad experiences with the Duratool temperature controlled irons. When they're working they're great. But...

First unit - base unit packed in, CPC replaced under warranty.

Second unit - I am on to the third or fourth iron (the replacements are a £5 each - that should tell you something about quality) but have now ditched it in favour of my old Antex 25W.

No, as said above, for connectors you need power to get the heat into the joint (unless you are doing really tiny connectors). They do a 25w iron here, but in all honesty, I'd not want to use it unless it was all that was available. Not saying it is a bad iron, just not the right one.

Just slagged off the venerable Antex XS 25 , great irons, had one for years , but does bring up a point about tips. The CS18 will also happily do XLRs and subD 25s as well, solder bucket Socapex might be pushing it.

Antex use iron clad copper, which outlasts solid copper ,as used by cheaper irons ,by many times but you can`t file them, once the cladding is gone the flux pits the copper needing constant filing.

Tin a new tip as it warms up, dinnae switch it on and let it get to heat, keep solder on it from switch on,once tinned keep it wiped on a damp sponge during use and a tin of this is invaluable when you leave it on and it cooks on crud

http://www.rapidonline.com/Tools-Fasteners...t-cleaner/74867

Maplin do similar at twice the price.

You might consider this:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=35016

I've used one for a year or two and it works very well for "small" jobs like connectors and "veroboard" projects, say. I have not used it for large lumps of metal sort of thing so can't comment on that aspect.

In addition to the temperature control aspect it has a ceramic, pointed tip, and earth strap connector. The only caveat is that the sponge is a loose item and it got lost soon after I bought it, ** laughs out loud **.

However damp kitchen towel works just as well and you may find it easier to wipe the tip off.

You may find having more power/heat output available to do a joint/connector on a low temperature plastic shrouded item an advantage.

I suggest you practice, practice, practice on old duff plugs, say, at different temp settings before you solder anything in earnest.

Always clean or scrape the "to be soldered" surfaces and tin the connector and wire first if you can.

Personally I use the Antex XS25, although you really do need to wait for it to heat up. For serious solder (speaker cabs etc as opposed to XLR connectors) I also have an old 100W Weller gun.

With the Antex irons, I'd advise you get the one with the optional silicone cable - sometimes it's the same price, and the silicone cable doesn't 'kick up' when you put the iron down like the PVC can. Also less likely to damage if you catch it.

You might consider this:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=35016

I've used one for a year or two and it works very well for "small" jobs like connectors and "veroboard" projects, say. I have not used it for large lumps of metal sort of thing so can't comment on that aspect.

In addition to the temperature control aspect

However damp kitchen towel works just as well and you may find it easier to wipe the tip off.

Even better deal on ebayIron bundle

Note about temp control, guess this one uses a dimmer basically to regulate temp, expensive temp control irons have feedback sensor in tip to turn wick up whem applied to larger metal. Dimmer principle works well though.

Totally agree with the kitchen roll.

I'm not a big fan of the Antex irons. They're fine for soldering small components onto a PCB but don't have enough heat capacity to heat up reasonable size connectors quickly. I went through quite a few budget soldering irons before buying a decent Oryx temperature controlled iron which has now lasted around 25 years. I don't think that the Oryx irons are still available but the 60W Weller TCP irons are similar and well worth the money in my opinion.

James.

I would go for a Weller onebay or electronics surplus supllier Ebay Item 320549110348 seems a good example

the temperature is set by changing the tip so pcb reparis can be done with a no. 7 fine tip (700 F)

for most cables I tend to use the No 8 chisel tip (800 F) or frequently called MIG welder tip

I would go for a Weller onebay or electronics surplus supllier Ebay Item 320549110348 seems a good example

the temperature is set by changing the tip so pcb reparis can be done with a no. 7 fine tip (700 F)

for most cables I tend to use the No 8 chisel tip (800 F) or frequently called MIG welder tip

The Weller TCP is pretty much the electronics industry standard general purpose iron. I've had mine over 30 years and replaced the element once. Elements and tips are freely available from Farnell etc.

The Weller TCP is pretty much the electronics industry standard general purpose iron. I've had mine over 30 years and replaced the element once. Elements and tips are freely available from Farnell etc.

I've also had my Weller TCP for over 30 years, but at nearly £120 for the current model (TCP-S) it's four times the OPs budget. Like all things "You gets what you pays for".

... had my cs18 for at least 20 years, 1 new element, a few tips and a replacement cord and its still good as new...

This is my grandfather's axe. Grandma gave it to him when he was her sweetheart and he used it throughout his life, stoking the fire of the little cottage in the woods they shared through the thick and thin years of their life-long marriage.

When he died my father inherited it. By then the handle was worn out so he replaced it, and wooed my mother by the roaring log fires of the cabin that was home to the ups and downs of their happy union.

When he died I inherited it. The handle was worn out so I replaced it and then realised the head was past re-sharpening so I replaced that too. I'm proud of this axe. It's been in our family for nigh-on 100 years and is still as good as the day grandpa first chopped wood for grandma.

They don't make tools like that any more!

Archived