Soldering Irons

Humey

The only caveat is that the sponge is a loose item and it got lost soon after I bought it, ** laughs out loud **.

Which is probably all for the best, I've got that iron too and that little thing thats supposed to be a sponge is just a complete bag of nails. All little bits come off it and find there way onto the end of your iron or into your joins.

Another problem with the iron I've got is the end of the tip keeps trying to come out, while its on and I'm working with it. So I have to reach for the plyers and sort it out.

Other than that it isn't a bad iron, heats up nice and quick. Gives good strong joins. Reasonable price

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right, I tinned the tip. Solderered one XLR conntector. I have been using a damp sponge as well. Now the tip won't melt the solder. Its a black colour (is that the oxidisation?)

Maybe I got ahead of myself. Any tips????

Youtube time...

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

Any tips????

You need to clean the tip on the sponge very frequently. I tend to do it between each joint.

I followed all the tips that were given to me, tinned, used the damp sponge frequently but still no avail. Looks like I'm going to have to use something to restore the tip...

Not a good day so far

If the tip is black, are you wiping it then just putting it back in the holder? After wiping, it should be tinned if it's going back in its holder or immediately used for a joint so the tip is never 'bare'. Dont sit there stroking the tip with the sponge, it just be a quick wipe otherwise the iron will be cooled by the moisture and whatever's on there will stick on it.

The multicore tip-cleaner pots are a lifesaver if you're just beginning with soldering as they'll clean the blackest tip that refuses to tin. I trained on a high-temperature hand assembly line years ago with weller tcps (the old black bakelite ones) and the high temp solder necessitated using the tip-cleaner every other joint.

Make sure you're using decent solder (and keep it clean) and not some ancient stuff you found in your grandpa's shed; it will be dirty and that burns on the tip. Dont use additional flux unless you have a very difficult component )eg old or tarnished) since excessive flux on the iron will turn it black. Contamination like touching wire insulation with the tip will also cause it to stop soldering till it's clean again.

http://www.mostlyaudio.com/_images/Soldering/Weller1.jpg

Sorry for the gratuitous yankee iron pic, I'd post a pic of a Henley Solon but can't find one.

Archived