100v speaker termination

avdavesound

hi everyone, in the process of getting all my 100v stuff ready for the summer months, just curious how people connect at the 100v horn? last year in a hurry stuff was just connected with a connector block and loads of pvc not ideal but it done the job. any recommendations?

An old trick I picked up was map pins soldered to the horn cable,run the feeder cable out and pierce it with the pin were ever you need a speaker.

Ah - straight from the Vivien Capel school of sound reinforcement! He also advocated that a sports stadium could be covered effectively by placing 100V line column speakers on blackboard easels facing the seating stands...

Whereas such techniques may have their place, I would be tempted to wire 100V line cables using Speakon connectors. If the 100V line system was never mixed with low Z speakers, then the normal 1+/- and 2+/- convention could be used to give two circuits. The AES45 standard does not cover 100V line (AFAIA) but Canford Audio have suggested using pins 2+/-. If systems did get mixed, then a 1+/2+ and 1-/2- scheme may offer some protection.

The benefits of Speakons include touch proof connectors, positive mating / locking, easily available splitters, ability to use heavy duty cable for long runs, and the ability to use standard loudspeaker cable available from any hire company.

Simon

Never used them for it but how about ST16 connectors (the 2-pole version of Wielands)?

They are cheap, available from most wholesalers for LV lighting, can be fixed on site with a screwdriver, are non-sexed and come with splitter blocks...

post-207-1274883913_thumb.jpg

I used standard 3 pin XLR's for my system. The long connecting leads have female connectors at both ends and so the amp and speakers have a male connector.

I know it's far from ideal but I had the connectors and I'm the only one who sets it up.

David

An old trick I picked up was map pins soldered to the horn cable,run the feeder cable out and pierce it with the pin were ever you need a speaker.

Obviously an early form of IDC. I need to make up some 100v lines using 100m rolls of 24/0.20 twin speaker cable (0.75 mm) to cover an outdoor event (two 350m runs from the amplifier) and have been considering various methods of tapping in to the feeder line including the above mentioned pins. Also looked at Scotchlok connectors and have decided to go for the Scotchlok 901 bullet receptacles fitted in pairs at 5m intervals. They are rated 32v but I cant see them causing a short on the line. I might stagger them slightly to keep them apart or I could wrap them in silicone tape

Then when the cable is strung out on the poles, I could use 3 or 4m drop cables with bullet plugs on the end to link my horns to the nearest tap point on the line.

Anyone see any problems with this or could suggest tidier splice-on solution?

WK

My preference would be

a) to use a "double insulated" cable (like mains cable).

b) to use a suitably low resistance cable (yes - there's less current flowing but several hundred meters still adds resistance)

b) to use a locking connector that's rated for the job in hand (e.g. Speakon)

c) use (say) a Speakon splitter (like these from Canford)

http://www.canford.co.uk/images/itemimages/200/49-399_01.jpg

The cables are then standard (so can be easily hired in) and are rated for the voltage carried, the connectors lock, touch voltages are minimised, etc.

I can see the benefit of a low cost solution like 12V car connectors and map pins, but I like to use standardised gear designed for the job. Perhaps it's just me ?

Simon

Never used them for it but how about ST16 connectors (the 2-pole version of Wielands)?

They are cheap, available from most wholesalers for LV lighting, can be fixed on site with a screwdriver, are non-sexed and come with splitter blocks...

post-207-1274883913_thumb.jpg

the st16 look the best bet so far cost wise and the odd job the cable is ran already so all you need is a handful of connectors and screwdriver . I had XLR's on them before but in the end they didn't last long because of no soldering iron snip snip!. speakons is a good idea as well but splitters are a bit pricey and I would need around 50 of them plus the fact that I can never seem to keep them in the toolbox ;) .

Last summer, I was looking at the setup used by a company that does most of the agricultural shows and highland games around this area.

they use XLR - I assume it's XLR3, but didn't get a chance for a close look. XLR4 might have been less likely to be mixed up with a mic cable.

but the interesting bit was how they wired it up. Every "speaker cluster" - a stand with 2 or 3 horns, or maybe a bar and 4 horns. - had 2 XLRs - one male one female - on a 2m flying lead.

They also had a load of XLR-XLR cables made up from 2 core mains flex, some 10m coils, some longer lengths on drums.

They arrived on site, parked their van at one corner of the arena, spaced the speakers around the perimeter, then cabled them up. Since they had 10m coils and 30m drums, it was straightforward. And the 2x flying leads on each stand meant that (a) they could just drop one of the half-uncoiled drums on the ground below the speaker stand and plug in, and (b) daisy-chain onwards - no need for separate splitters.

Every "speaker cluster" - a stand with 2 or 3 horns, or maybe a bar and 4 horns. - had 2 XLRs - one male one female - on a 2m flying lead.

I've not looked at 100V line systems for a little while (I don't get dragged off to rowing regattas anymore) but since reading your post I do remember seeing one system where each horn driver had had a box with two panel connectors added. It seemed to be a flexible means of wiring up the system.

The company that does the sound for the Bristol Harbour Regatta every year strings up miles of 100V line cable and probably 30+ TOA horns. They use yellow (110V) CEEform connectors with the CPC/Lewden 3/4-way splitters. Dirt cheap (probably cheaper than XLRs), highly weatherproof and robust, just a bit bulky. If the string ever got plugged into a 110V outlet from a genny, I suppose you'd just get a fairly loud hum. Seem like the best bet to me.

PA.

I've admitted defeat and am using XLR3, though the wrong way round for safety - so the amplifier end has a female on it, just like a mains socket.

If someone would just start making the old speaker XLRs again life would be grand...

Edited to add: One sound company round these parts uses standard Kiwi mains plug, sockets, and extension cables for their distribution. The stackability of the connectors makes installation a breeze...

They use yellow (110V) CEEform connectors with the CPC/Lewden 3/4-way splitters.

I suppose that you could wire the speakers across the earth and neutral lines... but didn't the IEC have a hissy fit when Ceeforms were used for anything other than power delivery? ;-)

Archived