T-shirts

Matthew Robinson

Hello!

I'm doing a concert over the summer, and I was looking at getting some T-shirts printed.

I'm looking at about 20 T-shirts with the logo on the back.

Any recommendations for where you get your T-shirts printed?

Thanks

Matthew

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do yourselves a favour - just get the crew to wear black. Students wandering around at school shows with specially-printed "crew t-shirts" just look daft.

It could be worse, though - there's a dance school who do their annual summer showcase on our main stage, and the various kids' dads who act as 'stage crew' (in inverted commas, because most of them don't actually *do* anything) have special t-shirts printed up with not only a big white "STAGE CREW" on them but also their names on the back! If only they realised how stupid they look ...

Can't offer recommendations for T-shirts, I'm afraid (not from the UK!) but wanted to chip in anyway....I sort of agree with Gareth, sort of not! I've got a fair few show T-shirts in my T-shirt drawer, and I find that they're excellent for load-in and load-outs - saves me buying work T-shirts...I also think that on a gig where you may have a lot of inexperienced people wandering around, a T-shirt identifying crew can be useful if someone needs to know something or find someone in a hurry (provided those wearing the T-shirts actually know what they're doing of course!).

I'd also vote against t-shirts with huge logos or text on. I've a couple of shirts from one company I've worked with that have a small company logo (about 1inch by 2/12 inches) embroidered on them. If you do get anything a shirt like that you'll find they can be used again and again without making you look like a tit.

David.

I've still got a nice black one with Strand on the front and Lighting crew on the back. Wore it a couple of times in 1976 and then like Gareth realised that identification like this is simply not needed. I got given a Colin Fry Spiritualist one, but that never got worn for a very different reason.

It may just be best to use whatever company is local to you, that way you can discuss with them in person exactly what you want, and you can be sure they'll turn up on time.

I have to say that I agree with others about the writing though, as a Students Union volunteer I was given a nice black polo shirt with CREW printed on the back and an embroidered logo. This seemed suitable in a student venue, indeed having 'CREW' on the back helped distinguish quickly from the shirts which the caretakers/cleaners/bar staff all had. Of course anywhere else it just makes you stick out like a sore thumb.

I can think of at least 3 places in my own town who do this kind of thing. Is it about time for a new Blue Room swag order? We could have a few of the black BR ones overprinted and flog them to the idiots students and make a few quid for the save the server fund!

I have a handful of industry related T-Shirts, I have quite a few HES ones advertising their products' logos on the back. As well as a rather nice Green Hippo Polo shirt and a PLSN one. I do have a really nice soft shell Martin Fleece Jacket; I wear that a lot mainly because it is probably the best jacket I have ever had! It’s awesome! But I only ever wear the T-Shirts on a get in/out. Usually when I program or teach programming (as these things are what I mainly do) I generally wear something casual but to the occasion. The worst thing for me is being uncomfortable. These T-Shirts with "CREW" or "STAGE CREW" on are pointless. In all honesty they are for un-important people. If you’re on the real crew and have an actual purpose, then you will be known to the people who need to know. Those T-Shirts are just for posers - sorry. Crew should rarely be seen by the audience, except the FOH control crew that is. It’s just a way of making somebody look important when more often than not, they are not.

There is one good use for T-Shirts like this... a greasy, cut up rag in your ML Toolkit. That is if you are allowed near one.

Thanks.

The only crew shirt that I actually wear is a smart black polo shirt with a small logo embroidered in red.

I have plenty of others with logos that are far too big and obtrusive, they usually get worn on a get in/out or when doing a messy job where I need something I can ruin.

Oh, by the way - when you have your CREW t-shirts printed up with a big white conspicuous print front and back, don't forget to wear it when you next visit the ABTT or PLASA trade show. It's important to make sure that your crew credentials are displayed for all to see on occasions like those ... and the bigger the printing on your crew t-shirt, the more it lets people know that you're a force to be reckoned with and the more seriously the people manning the stands will take you.

It's worth noting with regards to shirts that there are 3 main types of "printing" that can be done.

Embroidery- pretty much no cost in terms of setup, can look a bit funny on huge words though I find.

Printer Transfers- fade easily, I think not possible on black shirts- needs to be on light colour fabric to work.

Screen Print- initial set up cost for a screen, from last check was around $120 NZD (sorry don't have time to convert to UKP for you at the mo) but once you have the screen made getting more shirts is much easier. Also a fairly quick process once you have the screen.

Multiple colours require multiple screens to be made... $$$$

HTH

Archived