MagicDMX

pritch

Hey,

Basically the MagicDMX full interface allows you to input a DMX universe into the first universe on MagicQ. For example, this allows people to take existing shows from and capture them into MagicQ for playback (Set the DMX values, and then in the programmer do Shift + Capture Input and then record to a playback). It follows the usual merge/copy functionality available in the Patch window.

Now here's where it gets tricky, and why my personal opinion is that we should have called it a dongle, not an interface....

Unlike the ChamSys MagicQ USB interfaces and MagicQ Wing products (currently including the MagicQ Dual DMX, MIDI/SMPTE and Audio interfaces and the MagicQ PC/Maxi/Mini/Extra/Playback/Execute Wings), the MagicDMX interface doesn't unlock any remote control features within MagicQ. You end up with a similar level of functionality as if you were inputting a DMX stream over Art-Net for example, but you capture an actual DMX stream, rather than a network stream. So it allows you to input DMX into MagicQ, but doesn't use it as a third party control device for playbacks and other functionality like that .....

*However*, if you do then have a MagicQ USB interface or MagicQ Wing connected, this will enable the remote control functionality in MagicQ, and you should then be able to use the MagicDMX interface as a DMX input for use with this.

So when the manual says that connecting a MagicQ USB interface or MagicQ wing will enable remote control functionality, you have to remember that the "MagicDMX interface" isn't under the umbrella of our "MagicQ USB interfaces" (e.g. the full names of the products are "MagicQ USB Audio Interface" and "MagicDMX Interface"), and thus why I'd have personally called it a dongle, not an interface!

Hope that clears it up a bit for you!

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
*However*, if you do then have a MagicQ USB interface or MagicQ Wing connected, this will enable the remote control functionality in MagicQ, and you should then be able to use the MagicDMX interface as a DMX input for use with this.

If you were to use the £10 dongle with any other MagicQ interface/wing, I assume the "five hours before a restart is required" limit no longer applies?

If you were to use the £10 dongle with any other MagicQ interface/wing, I assume the "five hours before a restart is required" limit no longer applies?

I believe the 5 hour limit is hard coded in the dongle, and therefore would still apply irrespective of any other interfaces/wings unfortunately.

The 5 hour limit is hard coded into the actual MagicDMX hardware, rather than the MagicQ software, so you'd have to buy a full version to get more than 5 hours of use, as well as getting the DMX input.

Fired mine up this evening using an old Dell Aspire 1300 (1.2 Ghz, 368 Meg of RAM) into half a dozen cheapo LED cans. Works a treat, no problems so far. Excellent! ;)

I've been wanting some sort of USB -> DMX interface for a while now, as my desk is fairly low on channels. However my desk works fine for most applications so it was really a case of not wanting to fork out on something I don't really need.

However, as soon as I saw this thread I've ordered one! Really can't complain for £10 even if it is slightly limited. Great shout, thanks OP.

Iain Hewitt

I'd be very happy to just have a cable DMX interface for small stuff that I can carry in my laptop bag and still lifts the demo restrictions on MagicQ.

And the bi-directionality is also great :rolleyes:.

Does that mean that it can also handle RDM?

Edit:

Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to get a free ride, I have a PC wing, but sometimes you don't need the whole wing and it's two interfaces, you just need one interface and then having a cable that fits nicely next to the power adapter would be awesome. And of course when you are using the wing it's a nice additional universe or input. (And if it handles RDM that's something the wing does not...)

The MagicDMX interface is currently just designed to be a low cost interface to allow people to get to grips with the software and for testing out fixtures and because of this it doesn't currently support RDM.

The MagicDMX Full interface doesn't support RDM currently either. The MagicDMX interface is aimed as an entry level product into using MagicQ, where the majority of users won't have a requirement for RDM, so it currently only supports DMX input and DMX output for this reason.

We may release a RDM version in the future if there is enough demand for one, but I'm only the developer for the MagicDMX interface, so it's not my call to say if we're going to support RDM in the future unfortunately. Feature requests for the software / products should be put in the MagicQ downloads website (http://download.magicq.co.uk) though if you did wan't to request this.

Archived