MagicDMX

pritch

The whole point of the free software is that it encourages you to become proficient with it (for free) and then more likely to actually purchase the gear. I only do amdram shows and not that many a year. I use chamsys because at least I know I havent got to learn a desk and can do an amount of preprogramming. Thats this thing with amdram - you have a long build up but only a very short time in the theatre. If I do a show in the future that is a little larger I would suggest the company hire the wings, rather than another manufacturer. Because I know the system now (sort of!). That is the point of the free software - I have been 'hooked'

You dont expect to be given office/windows free just because you purchase a microsoft keyboard - The cost and the market is in developing the software.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The thing is that to get the most out of the system, you need real faders at the very least.

but not always,ive done a few things were my netbook,entec donggle and chamsys software are all ive needed,infact about the only unlocked feature I tend to use is the remote acsees,o and pan and tilt on a trackball,now if I could get the colour to change on the scroll wheel,like the good ole strand does ........

• 3 months later...

I've mentioned a few times previously in this thread that I'd update when we had more info on the interfaces.

We've now got 1000+ of both types of interface in stock, both the MagicDMX basic at £10, and the MagicDMX full interface at £60, both including P&P

If you have any questions, drop us an email at info@magicdmx.com, or reply on here.

Just think what a nice little stocking filler it would be for your friends! :P

• 2 weeks later...

Having got my £10 dongle working a treat, I am trying to be able to use artnet to trigger screenmonkey, and use my ipod as a focus remote. Does the £60 interface unlock artnet send/receive?

I would love to get a mini wing, but I don`t think my budget will stretch, Are there any other options available?

(The majority of my work is youth theatre/school funded personally so £700 is a lot to find...)

RobK

Ordered one to have a play :wacko: I faintly recall seeing this deal a while ago while looking for USB interfaces and completely ignoring it for some reason. Maybe I read 5 hours as 50 minutes or something stupid >.<

Thanks Chamsys :** laughs out loud **:

• 3 months later...

Sorry about bringing up an old topic but I can't seem to find an answer anywhere else, and I don't feel like/see the need for starting a new thread.

2 questions:

Firstly, does buying the audio interface actually unlock audio triggering? Or do I need to buy a wing or something aswell?

Secondly, with a suitable unlocking 'interface' connected, can MagicQ send/recieve artnet over my laptops ethernet port (2010 MBP)? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Also, I am having some stability issues with magicq running on OSX 10.6, I keep getting 'Unhandled keysum: ff7e' errors in terminal, and magicq crashes. Can anyone suggest why this might be happening?

Edit: SPaG, added info.

Buying an Audio interface unlocks the audio triggering parts of MagicQ. You don't need another wing to enable this.

However MagicQ can send and receive ArtNet/ACN even without an interface connected. You don't need to have something of ours connected for this to work.

The unhandled keysym message is one you can ignore. Doesn't actually make any difference to MagicQ.

I'd also recommend to install http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/wiki, rather than relying on the inbuilt version of X11 that Apple provide.

Thanks wol.http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Does it (the audio interface) unlock the other locked features aswell (networking)?

If you have a look through the manual, it'll give you a bit more info as to what is unlocked by which product.

Things like the remote focus app are unlocked by everything, whereas things like the mouse pan/tilt are only unlocked by a product with the relevant encoders on them.

By "networking", if you mean things like the remote focus app, then yes, that should be unlocked

Archived