MagicDMX

pritch

Last night, I stumbled upon this:

http://www.magicdmx.com/

I'm consider getting one purely for a bit of fiddling; also, I've been quite fancying creating some sort of super-budget riggers remote, and MagicQ, combined with that and my phone may well fit the bill.

Now, what I'm wondering is... does anyone know if it'll work on OS X below 10.6? I know the website says 10.6+, but I'm wondering if that's "We've tested it on 10.6, and it's fine", or whether it's "There's something specific to 10.6 that makes it work - anything less, you can forget about it."?

I'm intending to drop Chamsys a line if I don't get anything useful here, but was hoping I'd get some sort of heads up beforehand, with it being a bank holiday and all that.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
are they selling an actual DMX Dongle?

Yes.

There's a £10 version, which will work for up to five hours at a time; after five hours, you have to unplug the dongle, and restart the software.

There's also another (presumably more expensive, but they haven't released the price yet) version, which will work indefinitely.

Now, what I'm wondering is... does anyone know if it'll work on OS X below 10.6? I know the website says 10.6+, but I'm wondering if that's "We've tested it on 10.6, and it's fine", or whether it's "There's something specific to 10.6 that makes it work - anything less, you can forget about it."?

Hopefully more use to the OP -

Not sure how similar the beta is to the current version, but just took this off their website - "The current beta release for Mac is compiled for OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, and not previous versions. Trying to run v1.4.5.0 beta of MagicQ on OS X 10.5 or lower will not work."

Not sure how similar the beta is to the current version, but just took this off their website - "The current beta release for Mac is compiled for OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, and not previous versions. Trying to run v1.4.5.0 beta of MagicQ on OS X 10.5 or lower will not work."

Currently the beta build is only 10.6 or later as that's just what we've built MagicQ on for this beta release, and there's a dependency issue with that beta build running on 10.5. For the next stable release of MagicQ, it should support the MagicDMX interface from OS X 10.5 or above, however due to Apple rewriting how they support USB devices between 10.4 and 10.5, the MagicDMX interface won't be supported in OS X 10.4 or lower. You should still however be able to run the Windows version of MagicQ in a virtual machine under OS X as far as I know. (Haven't personally tested this, but would be happy to get feedback from people if they do try this).

There's a £10 version, which will work for up to five hours at a time; after five hours, you have to unplug the dongle, and restart the software.

Yup. Unplug the interface, restart MagicQ, plug the interface back in, and you get another 5 hours. Should be enough for someone to play about with MagicQ and test features out and get used to the software.

There's also another (presumably more expensive, but they haven't released the price yet) version, which will work indefinitely.

Yup. The MagicDMX Full interface pricing and availability should be available later on this month. And unfortunately, yes, it will be more expensive than £10 :angry: :(

Hope that helps!

If you have any more questions, you can also contact us at info@magicdmx.com.

Cheers,

So, will the 10UKP version be "upgradeable" to the full version (in exchange for the correct monies, of course)? Or maybe a 10UKP credit toward a "full" interface?

I'd assume not, the basic version has a 3pin DMX socket, but the full version has a 5pin socket. Furthermore, the full version has DMX in OR out, whereas the basic version has DMX out only. Surely, there'd be no point putting all the electronics associated with receiving DMX in the basic version. Discounts wise, I obviously cannot comment.

So, will the 10UKP version be "upgradeable" to the full version (in exchange for the correct monies, of course)? Or maybe a 10UKP credit toward a "full" interface?

I'm not 100% sure of the official line on this, but as far as I know, the £10 is for the postage / packaging of sending the interface to wherever in the world you are, rather than the actual price of the interface itself. Based on that I don't think that we will be accepting them as "part exchanges" for a Full interface.

Full details of the pricing for the MagicDMX Full interface and information for if you already have a MagicDMX Basic interface will be put on the website when confirmed though, which should be by the end of this month. I'll post an update in this thread too when the site is updated if people want.

Hope that helps.

silly question- and sorry if I am wrong- but I was under the impression that MagicQ worked fine for the first universe on an Enttec Pro dongle. Is there any difference to getting this dongle?

If you already have the Enttec Pro dongle - no.. But the MagicDMX is priced way lower and would probably be a very good option for people wanting to get started with MagicQ...

I can't think of a better control system for a tenner :)

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

It'd be nice if there was at least an option to remove the 5 hour limit (with an appropriate upgrade fee of course) :g:

Is the 10UKP including postage just to the UK?

Cheeky, but have to ask :g:

10GBP is postage to wherever you are.

It'd be nice if there was at least an option to remove the 5 hour limit (with an appropriate upgrade fee of course) :)

There is. Buy a MagicDMX Full interface ;)

Archived