MagicDMX

pritch

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yay, Mine came today as well!!!! :o

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

Just a quick question to the people who have already received there device.

Has anyone considered swapping the 3 pin XLR for 5 pin??

Quick and simple and saves the need for a 3-5 jumper.

opinions???

If it's a panel mount socket on free wires to the board then swapping it out should be a piece of cake, if it's a PCB mount three-pin XLR socket then it may be more difficult as I don't think the terminal spacing is the same between 5 and 3 - and the pin order isn't the same either - so you may need to solder jumpers to the pads on the board and fit a non-PCB panel mount connector. Without seeing one my guess is that it's PCB mount.

Glad to see that you guys have started to receive your new toys!

I'll be checking my emails over the weekend (luke@chamsys.co.uk) so if you need any help in setting your MagicDMX interface up, drop me an email and I'll try and reply ASAP. Also, there is the quick start setup guide on the Downloads page on www.magicdmx.com which should give you most information you need to know to setup the interface.

@TomM: Information about the full interface should be coming out later this month. Although at a price of £10 for the Basic version, it's probably not too hard to get one of those for the time being and then flog it to one of your friends if you then choose to buy a Full interface!

And I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people put 5pin XLR connectors on ;-)

And I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people put 5pin XLR connectors on ;-)

I assume it wouldn't be practical to offer this as an option when ordering due to production costs? I suspect a fair few people would pay an extra quid or so to avoid having to switch the connector out.

Brilliant Idea. I think I'll order one for the crack, despite the fact we have no DMX controllable kit in the warehouse..... actually our Barco Projectors have DMX....

We had the Robe rep in today, and it would have been great to have taken the kit through it's paces with this. And I can see it being better for controlling small lighting rigs eventually taking us to a proper console for media servers usage and beyond.

Great out of the box thinking from Chamsys!

At the end of the time period, does the dongle send an ALL@0 type command, or will it just stop sending data? I might get one so I can run some LED parcans in my living room, and then I can just leave it to run and close magiq when Im not using it. Hmmm

Dunc

At the end of the time period, does the dongle send an ALL@0 type command, or will it just stop sending data? I might get one so I can run some LED parcans in my living room, and then I can just leave it to run and close magiq when Im not using it. Hmmm

At the end of the 5 hours, it will set all the values to 0 and then stop DMX transmission so you'd have to use the Full version for running something like that.

Ooooohhh. And While I remember: iPad. Howsabout an iPad/iPhone app, with a Dock to DMX connector?

Matt and I were discussing this a few days ago when I found an iPhone hardware development kit. However you have to sign your soul away to Apple for it and farce around a fair bit with the legal side it seems, so probably won't be happening soon unless there's a large demand for one, in which case I might suggest it to the powers that be!

We had the Robe rep in today, and it would have been great to have taken the kit through it's paces with this. And I can see it being better for controlling small lighting rigs eventually taking us to a proper console for media servers usage and beyond.

Not sure if you or others have seen, but MagicQ also has a feature added relatively recently which allows you to automatically create a fixture test "show" so if you have a certain fixture, it'll give you quick control of the main features of the fixture on the playback faders rather than you having to manually control each of them. If you goto the simple mode, and press "test show" on the left, and you can select a fixture to create one.

Thought I'd mention it as it was only a recent feature.

Great out of the box thinking from Chamsys!

Stunning.

I just hope the demand doesn't send them to the wall, as at a tenner including postage, I cant see there being any profit in this, the hope must be that just a few percent take the plunge and buy something with decent margins on it.

I just hope the demand doesn't send them to the wall, as at a tenner including postage, I cant see there being any profit in this, the hope must be that just a few percent take the plunge and buy something with decent margins on it.

The £10 cost covers production cost, testing, processing, packing and shipping worldwide and includes a few pennies of profit. (The PCB is even gold plated on the first 3000.......in error)

It does show that it is still possible to make low cost items in the UK!!!

What it does not cover is a return of the development costs. The professional version will have to do this and that will reflect the increase in price. It will still be very competitive compared to other low cost units.

The idea and hardware design was done after being bored sitting on the dockside at Le Havre waiting for ferry......took bit longer than planned to get out the door.

Madmac

Reading through the magicdmx website - particularly the info for the full version, it mentions using the dongle as a DMX input device. I was wondering if our two resident Chamsys rep's could shed a little light on what this would enable us to do? Will it mean you can record a show/analyse data coming in from a DMX input?

I know from reading the manual, that you can have some control over playbacks and the like with by taking levels from another DMX console, will the magicDMX enable some of this?

Also for DMX in purposes, would it work alongside an Enttec Pro dongle outputting on universe 1?

Many thanks

neil

Archived