LX Tape V Re Usable Cable Ties

djtom29

Hi Guys,

I haven’t posted a topic on here in a while, and after getting some cables back from a job the other week, just thought of something I should ask you guys!

Basically I have always used LX tape when coiling cables, to keep them coiled. However a friend of mine who was providing the PA (less 3 cables) uses Re Usable Cable Ties. I was just wondering if you guys have a preference? Any advantages or disadvantages of cable ties over LX tape? He said that the LX tape leaves a slightly sticky residue on the cable, is this true? I don’t often hire out my personal cables, since I only have them for gigs every few weeks of my own. Am I missing a trick??

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Big fan of velcro ties for our own kit, with a supply of reusable plastic cable ties in reserve just in case. The velcro ties we have tend to end up scratching fingers and palms if coiled up in a hurry though.

Hire stuff usually goes out with a single wrap of decent LX tape (Advance or similar works well for me), unless I'm asked to do something different.

I just use LX, however certain lower quality brands I find do leave some residue.

I have also used velcro ties, and I love them but they are kinda expensive.

I like the idea of tie lines maybe I will do some in the summer.

Hi Guys,

Some quick replies there,

I have to say I like the idea behind using ties rather than LX tape, as I always come home from jobs with countless pieces of LX stuck to me, but to be honest if I had anything other than LX on my cables I would end up losing it!

One of the jobs I’ve done recently had over 100 XLRs alone on the PA and Video system, which while it isn’t a lot compared to what most of you do, its 100 Ties I would end up losing and 100 ties to replace. I think LX tape is the easiest solution but to be honest LX is more practical.

Anyway keep the thoughts coming in, as I said earlier this is more a thoughts question than a problem.

Every cable I own and every cable many friends own all have a reusable cable tie on them. We have a habit of putting the cable tie back around the cable immediately after taking it off so it doesn't get lost! Works a treat for us, but different methods work for different people :blink:

fairly large company that lends us gear always uses cheap LX tape, and the only residue on the cables is gaffer. for smaller setups, I like the idea of velcro ties, but they are a lot more expensive, and LX tape just does the job so well! I always have a roll in a pocket somewhere when working!

I used Velcro ties for years, but have just started to go back to tape. Velcro ties do look neater, but that's the only thing they have going for them. Tape is faster and just about every crew member on stage should have a role of tape in their pocket.

I got fed up with hire cables coming back tied with tape and with the Velcro hanging of the end flapping in the breeze or missing completely. Beer (or whatever) soaked velcro''s are an unpleasant thing to have to deal with at the end of the night.

It's all every well leaving cable ties on cables, but if they end up up being visible, you're going to end up removing them anyway

Hand in pocket/tape/job done.

Regards,

Andy

Before I became tied to a venue I had a pet hate: it was reusable cable ties used to hold cable coils together; because you can always rely on them to jam when you need that cable that there is only one of in a hurry! Secondly I had hand cramps by the time I'd finished cabling a stage from pressing on the little release tabs. One wrap of lx tape has always worked for me.

Archived