IWBs & Dimmers... Combined

Matthew Robinson

Hello! Somewhat of a crazy idea, I know, but do you think that if you combined IWBs & dimmers, you would have a workable product? Assuming that the dimmers could be fitted within the IWB (ie, fitted within the socket or similar). Also, as far as DMX is concerned, treat the whole IWB as one device (because the DMX would be amplified & (actively) split). The only real problem I can see is getting power to it, but surely it would only require a correspondingly sized power cable rather than running lots of small ones? Furthermore, it would save space for dimmers. Also, if you are actively splitting the DMX at every bar, it would save quite a bit on DMX splitters?

Thanks

Matthew

PS: I eagerly await being shot down in flames! :unsure:

'lo & evening,

there are already some products out there which I think match your idea.

ETC Smartfade bar

I haven't actually used the smart bar I've used the smartmodule packs and they are quite good and well priced for small dimmer units.

Not sure about the splitting the DMX signal on this item it will give you a DMX through. A splitter on your bit of kit would be a novel idea

Hope this helps

IES have done it, as have Rosco and IIRC ETC have something for the US market.

The problem is how do you handle resetting tripped breakers and where do you put the suppression coils (The largest electronic component in conventional thyristor racks)?

Reverse phase control or even full on sinewave have been done this way but it it expensive tech and it is not obvious that the benefits make it a goer.

Regards, Dan.

It's worth noting that these aren't widespread due to the fact that when a fuse pops, or a circuit trips out, you have to physically get to the bar to reset it. It is much better to have a central dimmer rack that you can easily get to replace fuses/trips. The smart bars are dead useful for one off events though, I use them on a lot of small corporate events.

Standby can of worms....

Can of worms... Go! :unsure:

Andy Jones

However, fuses/trips don't just go in my experience. I've only taken a fuse/mcb out with a lamp blowing, or a very few well aged fuses with unrush current, but MCBs don't really suffer from that.

If you've got to go up to change the lamp then you can reset the trip while you're there (assuming sensible product design that puts the MCB near the outlet).

The ETC was (if my memory serves) the first IGBT bar dimmer, and as such it was (a) silent, and (b) fuseless, both being benefits of IGBT dimmer technology.

I dont think ETC developed the product, I seem to recall they bought the company that did...

Well, I was thinking perhaps that the dimmer & socket could be fitted into a space the size of a double 13A socket & back-box with the fuse mounted on the front (think cooker sockets)? At the end, another box the same size to deal with the DMX signal.

If it aint broke, don't fix it! The school hall I worked in last week had a FOH bar about 12m up from floor level, only access? Scope or tower! What a pain in the preverbiale if the trip goes on that bar!!! Dimmers are designed the way they are for convienience!!! The ETC smart thingys are surely meant for tempory work not long term?

The ETC smart thingys are surely meant for tempory work not long term?

Absolutely not - they bars are designed for permanent installation. Run heavy mains, and DMX, and the jobs done forever.

In particular - there is no trip on the bar, becuase there is no trip anywhere. IGBTs dimmers are safe into a short circuit! This isn't through any partiular magic of the IGBT dervice, just that the electronics can monitor the current being passed, and if its too great, then turn the IGBT off. Thats what you cant do with a SCR - once a SCR conducting it stays that way, so it needs protection.

Eventually the IGBT dimmer patents will run out, and then there will be lots of decent affordable IGBT based dimmers about.

The SCR dimmer was unquestionably the greatest single advance of lighting technology of the last century, and has reigned supreme for nigh on fifty years. But the next half century will see the demise of the SCR dimmer. It'll take a while, but its number is up.

Bars with packs IN are available in the DJ market and they are viable wherever the bars can have "fuses" reset after the job. They save pushing a dimmer rack into a building for simple and quick jobs, however current technology (protection and suppression) tend to limit their use in installs where we use 15/16/soca partly because they are unfused and all the breakers are in an accessible place.

Archived