Light Control Desk URGENT HELP

adambattey

Hi Guys,

I am doing a production of Little Shop of Horrors in the secondary school that I work in next week... but my lighting desk has broken today and I drasticly need a replacement, on hire/loan, for the next week that I can run the show from.

The one that is in the hall currently is a Congo Jr running a 72 channel system. I have managed to rig the lights today using the dimmer racks below the stage (labourious but do-able) but now I need a way to programme/control the lights.

Does ANYONE know of somewhere in the Sheffield area that could help me out of this pickle or know what I could use if a congo jr isn't available...?

I'm crossing everything in the hope that there is someone out there....

Cheers,

Adam

you can use any DMX desk. do you have to have this many channels of dimming? just do a google search for hire companys close to you. I could have done you a jester ml24 with a 24 channel wing but I am 150 miles away. you also dont say if you are only using generics.

give your dealer a ring, how old is the desk, do you have a service contract or warranty on it?

If you do then your dealer should be able to send you a replacement with yours is in the shop

Hey,

Thanks for the responses on this. I'm currently sat surrounded by four desks only one of which will turn on a pityfull handfull of lights - the others won't do a thing.

I have my broken CongoJr

a Showmaster24

a Strand100 (dusted off from a cupboard)

and an ETCSmartfade that will turn some of the lights on.

I have 2 5pin male leads coming out of my lighting rig (universe A&B) that usually go into my Congo. All the desks I have I can plug in either A OR B but only get light out of UniverseA and there doesn't seem to be any logic as to what dimmers they control...

I have no movers only generics spread over my entire rig... and am currently screwed! ;)

Cheers for anything that you can suggest...

Adam :oops:

Two universes shouldn't be necessary unless you're:

1) Exceeding 512 channels.

2) You have more than 31 devices in a chain and no splitter.

3) One or more devices doesn't have a DMX thru' (and no splitter).

4) One or more devices has limited addressing.

If all you have is 72 channels of dimmer then you should be able to link them all and address as necessary. It can't be that hard. Just make a note of any addresses or cabling before you change it.

Dont know if this is at all any help to you or not, but a quick :oops: search found this;

www.audiovisualhiresheffield.co.uk

Strangely, they appear to be based in Harrogate.

Limelight would be the obvious call if you were looking to hire lighting kit at short notice in Sheff.

Did you call ETC yet?

If not: 020 8896 1000 - there is 24-hour service on that number.

(Out of office hours you may need to leave a message and we'll call you back sharpish.)

It may well be possible to bring the console back to life over the phone (depends what went wrong)

If the console is under warranty, then you definitely can have a loaner Congo console until yours is fixed.

If the console is out of warranty, then we will help you sort something out.

Tomo - Cheers for that but unfortunately my situation is not quite that simple...

The Powers That Be in my work place have 'disallowed' me any kind of phoning companies/organising maintinance when it comes to the equipment that I use. instead I have to let them know and then it is reviewed at the next monthly meeting then has to wait 3 weeks to organise a visit that might happen within the next month.... I am destined to fail....

I have managed to repatch my smartfade [with some doubling up on dimmers to channels] and managed to get the curtain up.

Cheers for all of your comments on this post!

Adam

The Powers That Be in my work place have 'disallowed' me any kind of phoning companies/organising maintinance when it comes to the equipment that I use.

What sort of comedy arrangement is that?! So you're saying that if your lighting desk crashed a couple of hours before a show, they wouldn't "allow" you to call the manufacturer or supplier so that they could perhaps help you get it up and running?! If it were me, I'd be telling them to p*** off.

Believe me I have been VERY tempted a couple of times! The same happened with the projector bulb blowing 24 hours before curtain up but I took matters into my own hands for that and sorted it myself before invoicing them for the time and equipment.

I'm in charge of the actual operation of the space but everything else is their realm. I even have to hire the hall so that I can rig the lights for our own in house productions/concerts etc.....

Archived