Movers + Wii Controllers

solex

I'm playing with similar ideas. Rather than build a hardware interface I'm using Processing with various libraries to read the Bluetooth signals from the Wiimote. Getting a reliable connection can be problematic though. My other pet project is sending OSC from an ipod Touch and converting that to DMX. I've got a PS3 controller waiting to be played with as well.

Bryson: Not yet, and the other button holds the DMX values to allow you to move the remote with out affecting the position of the fixture.

maeterlinck: Thats coming soon, hoping to have the mover act like the mouse pointer on a wii.

Nice project! Would be interesting to see that linked with a WiiMote to select attribs and even different units...

I wrote a fairly basic app to interface between a wiimote and MagicQ a few years ago now which took the tilt sensor data to control positions and other attributes. The limited number of buttons does make it tricky to have quite precise alternative functionality e.g. once you use the B button to enable the tilt so it doesnt go haywire when you drop it, and have A controlling intensity or similar, theres only a few other buttons to play with. Had an idea of doing gesture support (e.g. flick left = prev head, flick right = next head) but never got around to coding it.

Not really sure what the IR camera could be used for though. There must be something!

I did remember having problems with three wiimotes connected to one PC at once though. Probably the bluetooth dongle as I remember one I had was a lot happier than another one at connecting to more than one device.

Guest lightnix

Very nice work so far - well done.

I think some of the most interesting and exciting advances in the coming years, will be in the field of control and driven by this kind of thinking :up:

Not really sure what the IR camera could be used for though. There must be something!
Surely you want to link it up along with Hog 2 style (other consoles probably available with this feature) XYZ plotting, then either two giant IR emitters either side of the stage if the cameras angle was wide enough, or a local monitor with the IR bar on it and a camera pointed at the stage. Then you could aim the WiiMote where you wanted on stage and all the heads would go there. That might even be usable enough for the followspotting with movers everyone always seems to want...

Followspotting with a Wiimote, something I've been working with on and off for a while. I'd not thought about using the IR sensors though. I've been experimenting with the accelerometers and the likes but gave up when school work got the most of me.

I'll be looking at the IR sensor for a possible solution though. With the yaw axis of the accelerometer for the iris perhaps.

Hmmm*

Josh

*I probably owe Ynot a fair bit of money for the amount of times I use that.

Camera angle is 90 degrees, so +-45 from the center line (worrying that my memory finds that a helpful piece of information to remember!)

The info from the wiimote camera ( X/Y coordinates of the 4 IR dots in the "image" from the camera, as well as a relative size of each one) is quite tricky to triangulate unless you bound the possible area of the wiimote. Not sure whether normal lanterns give out enough IR to be detected though, which might screw some bits and pieces up!

How would a wiimote tie in with an XYZ plotting space though*? Would you not just be pointing it at a location on the XZ plane, rather than specifying a height? Theres no easy (or accurate) way from a wiimote to get distance to a target. I managed to get 3d finger tracking working a while ago when first playing with wiimotes, but had to use three precalibrated wiimotes around a screen facing the user before the system started to get any decent values out. Not sure how well a similar thing would work with a single wiimote. You could still use the tilt sensor internally to move the focus point around the stage on the XZ plane without needing a camera though

* - Apologies if I've missed the actual use of the Y axis here...

How about placing IR LEDs (or a more powerful version) on the front of the stage at 1m apart, you then get the XY position data (assume for the purposes of this that the reds are over, makes it easier) and from that (given a calibrated input and output range) you can move movers in the same axis.

I might try that now. :)

Josh

Archived