Movers + Wii Controllers

solex

This thread reminded me of this guy - http://johnnylee.net/projects/wii/

I know some guys at me school were playing around with a wiimote using some software and hardware they made having different presets on each axis. Potentially quite cool for flashy stuff like a rock concert though theatre lighting might take quite a steady hand :)

This thread reminded me of this guy - http://johnnylee.net/projects/wii/

I know some guys at me school were playing around with a wiimote using some software and hardware they made having different presets on each axis. Potentially quite cool for flashy stuff like a rock concert though theatre lighting might take quite a steady hand :)

Thats the original vid I was taking my 3d finger tracking from, but rather than one wiimote, using three to triangulate the position. The stuff he does (or at least had done by the time I stopped watching his videos) was fairly simple to implement at least, but a great concept. The head tracking "virtual" 3d graphics was good and really effective.

One thing with using a wiimote tilt sensor to focus movers is that it is just the same as using a mePhone / Android / WinMo remote to do the same thing, unless the IR sensors on a wiimote can be used for a really helpful purpose. Using the IR sensors just seems a bit too ... restricted to a certain condition for my liking, whereas the tilt sensor works wherever there is gravity!

What about some augmented reality.... Use the camera on the phone to show a video feed in an app, and dependent on where you are / what you're looking at, you can tap the screen to focus the lights to that point. I would be *very* interested to see someone doing that.

Might go and continue my wiimote > MagicQ interface though whilst I'm bored *-)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've finally got a version of my "WiiSpot" software working.

I make out the 4 extremes within the stage/wall/wherever that I will want to use and point the WiiMote at each of these in turn. I then find the maximum and minimum pan/tilt values and store these.

I do the same with the output device. Point it at the same 4 points and do the same calculations on the values.

From there I take a live value from the WiiMote, do some maths on it and it gives me the output value to send to the movers.

Its been tested at school with a SSC2 as the light source and a sensor bar as the IR reference. It doesn't matter where the IR source is as long as there is only one and that it is visible at all extremes of the area to be spotted.

Currently, it only works with the Enttec OpenDMX dongle.

To connect the WiiMote, I've found you have to delete any previous Bluetooth pairings with the device. Then create a new pairing, keeping the 1&2 buttons pressed until you have the WiiSpot open.

I've also included the ability to save and re-call settings and also a battery meter for the WiiMote to avoid the batteries running out un-expectedly.

If anyone wants a copy to have a look at/test (Only tested it so far on Win 7 64 Bit) feel free to PM me.

Josh

Archived