Uni's for Sound Engineering

ye mate its not a bad set up @ ssr. ifs its post production or live sound they cover pritty much everything, plus how many places can say they have a Neve console.

I think a few do!

Any of the good courses will have kit which is of good enough standard to fulfill the teaching they do. I wouldn't judge a course by the kit it owns, although it is good to see how seriously they take the course by the investment they give it.

• 1 year later...

If you're interested at looking at acoustics, the electronics of sound engineering and the perception of sound, then look at Derby University's Sound, Light and Live Event Technology course (BSc Hons).

Haay, I have a conditional for Live, Sound and Live event technology at Derby!

Can anybody(who studied there) tell smth more about the it(not just modules or smth I can read at their website), but about the teachers attitude and all the events itself, how many people are on the course?

And I really wanna know it is at all possible to find a job there in Derby, related to my course? Because I'm going on my own and there won't be any help in money matters. Tutor wrote me in e-mail, that most course students tend to freelance job.

I kno, the topic is one year old, but I'd be really grateful if someone could help me with this info.

Cheers. (:

I've got a place on the course Starting September so I assume I will see you in September! Both Simon Lewis and Kit are users of BR so I guess they might be along sooner or later! Regarding jobs, I know I'll hopefully carry on freelancing when I get to uni, but theres Derby Playhouse which will be needing casuals I hope, and then there's always nottingham 20 minutes down the road if you have a car.

There is not a Derby Playhouse... It used to take casuals and was an amazing place to work. After some goings on it went bust, with the administrators trying to padlock the doors on opening night of the big christmas show!

It is now owned by the uni, but run by the council as Derby Theatre. Casual techs for the council have to wait for an advertisement, apply and wait for a response. Certainly more than the chat over a cup of tea and brief rigging test I had at the Playhouse!

There is some work available for the self employed contractor (whats a freelancer :P ), but obviously the market in the area is somewhat flooded! A lot of us worked (casual and/or self employed) in our home areas while studying.

Course wise -

Tutor attitude - variable, but always good or better. You'll share tutors with a number of other courses for subjects like electronics; and have time with Simon and Kit for lighting and sound etc (and some other courses will share with you). They are both really great tutors, who know their stuff and have enthusiam for learning.

Events - there are events run for the course, though I know this has changed a bit since I was there, so ask Kit and Simon for more information. If you want to do more there is the Events Society, who do the tech for the SU events. A good chance to play and experiment in real world events.

Course size - variable, my year had 15ish students in 3rd year. The year below had nearly 30. The format of the course means that tutorial and practical sizes are always manageable, and lecture sizes are fairly insignificant really.

I really enjoyed the course, and got lots out of it. Feel free to ask me whatever questions you may have, but I left nearly 2 years ago, so my info might be a bit out of date.

I'm a current first year SLLET student, and I will quite happily say that the course is good fun, hard work, and totally worth it. The intake number this year is fairly big- if I remember correctly, there's about 60 of us on first year, although we have seen a few dropouts so far.

The teacher's attitude- all the lecturers I have are approachable, easy going, obviously know their stuff (this is sounding like real brown nosing, but it's my honest opinion). Certain sections of certain modules have, if I'm honest, gone a bit too easily for me, but I'm a couple of years older and this year is obviously a year to get everyone up to the same level.

As for finding a job, I'm travelling all over the place for work, and I've managed to find a couple of companies within Derby, but I'm heading home quite a lot to work there. There's a LOT of us, and your presence on this forum tends to suggest you're more theatre based- I haven't found much paid theatre work, although there's a fair few am drams who I'm sure would love a bit more help.

The events society CAN be brilliant, and I sincerely hope to be on the committee next year- you do get a good chance to get your head round to the Derby way of thinking, which makes practical sessions easier (for me).

Feel free to PM me if you want more in depth analysis of the modules or anything.

you could always look at Music Tech at Stafford university. I know its music tech rather than live events, but they are very "sound" foucsed rather than music as the course implies

If you choose the modules correctly then it can set you up nicely for live events. As part of the course they put on live events each year that are crewed by the students. they care more related to live music though rather than theatre. There is alot of studio time involved but its more based around sound manipulation. So the studio time gives you a greater understanding of the principles of sound (how and why its works and acts in the way it does) there are then optional modules such as acoustic principles and buisness management that help prepare for self employment as well as hands on and theory sides of sound... Plus the final year project, if chosen wisely, can be used to help boost the direction that you wish to take, as it is almost open choice.

There are a good few places to work whilst there too, Stafford gatehouse is one, They tend to have a shakespere at the castle performance each year that they employ a few freelancers and casual staff for, and there are plenty of live music venues around always looking for temp technicians.

Coyccoyc,

There's over 100 students across three years of the programme. Although some work locally, many students freelance across the Midlands - perhaps in a 30 - 40 mile radius, and some travel further still. At present, the council are responsible for most of the events that take place at Derby Theatre. However, the University is (apparently) taking this role on from May 2012, so there may be greater opportunity for student work, on a casual or even formal basis.

Simon

And as soon as you get there Coyccoyc(whatever) Simon will have a go about txtspk on BR. They do not like it and I don't understand it.

Before this becomes too much of a Derby love-in, can I stick one thumb up for DeepBlueSound down in Plymouth and an honourable mention for Bolton where some interesting things are happening right now.

It all depends where TF sees herself using her qualifications, theatre, rock, studio, whatever. Each establishment has strengths and weaknesses and it very much depends on being able to use the knowledge and experience of Higher Education in whatever area of sound you end up in. It can be terribly frustrating to have a theatre based degree to find oneself in a field in the rain at three in the morning and vice versa, I'm sure.

Hi

Also worth mentioning our Live Event Technology course at Glamorgan University (the Atrium campus in Cardiff has the sound tech course to which I think you refer). We cover a huge variety of areas of live sound specifically whether you're interested in being a concert system tech / designer or a FOH engineer. Also the course covers subjects outside of sound such as Lighting, Rigging etc.

We have open days very often and always welcome visitors to come and have a look.

Phil

And as soon as you get there Coyccoyc(whatever) Simon will have a go about txtspk on BR. They do not like it and I don't understand it.

Don't worry, there will be plenty of time to develop effective communication!

It all depends where TF sees herself using her qualifications,

TF posed her query about a year ago, so one hopes she's found somewhere to partake in further study.

Simon

Archived