Imperial wing bolts?

pscandrett

We have some double ended hook clamps which we use for holding par bars on meatracks etc, as many others do too. However, some numpty has used a wingnutspanner on it and broken the wing bolt, leaving a bolt with a broken head.

The hook clamps look like this

http://www.doughty-engineering.co.uk/shop/84/88/index.htm

but they're not doughty-branded - I don't know who made them. I'm struggling to find replacement wing bolts (or 'wing screws' as they seem to be called in some circles) as I think it's an imperial wing bolt. It looks like Doughty use metric wing bolts (M10). A bolt from a recently purchased doughty hook clamp doesn't fit/isn't the same thread as the broken one and experiments with M bolts show that it's slightly smaller than M10.

So, being brought up as a metric user, how do I specify what this wing bolt is, and can anyone help me find one (or some) please? Rough dimensions are about 16 threads per inch, 1/4" external diameter of the thread, 3/8" internal diameter. Is this a standard, but old, size of wing bolt? Are there any suppliers that anyone knows about?

To be fair I haven't yet gone into a dedicated hardware shop - partly because it takes time to do that, and partly because there aren't any near here (south Manchester) that I know of other than the big stores (B&Q, Wickes etc).

Many thanks

It's almost certainly 3/8" Whitworth. I usually get spares from a local ironmongers, you may be able to get them from Stage Electrics (I seem to recall having to explain why they stocked them to one of their sales guys in a shop a few years ago...) or other theatre suppliers (Lancelyn? AC? Whitelight?)

To be fair I haven't yet gone into a dedicated hardware shop - partly because it takes time to do that, and partly because there aren't any near here (south Manchester) that I know of other than the big stores (B&Q, Wickes etc).

Many thanks

Hi Peter

best place for south manchester is where we go which is "Boole's Tools" which is on the A626 through Reddish they have EVERY bolt ever made it seems, even one from a odd lantern that turned out to be an old american thread!

Regards,

Ben Wainwright

An amusing story about South Manchester and bolts.....some years ago, I was doing some rigging at the Whitworth Art Gallery (South Manchester) - preparing for an exhibition coming up from the National Gallery (London). At the end of the first day, 2 technicians from the National Gallery were preparing notes for what they needed to be sent up for the next day. One suggested that they needed some 3" bolts and guessed that they probably weren't available in Manchester. The Gallery's concierge overheard this and went apoplectic - explaining that the very building they were standing in was built by Joseph Whitworth who had devised the first national standard for screw threads and had given his name to that system. And that Manchester was still the main manufacturer of such bolts.

With thanks to 'Maddison' and Ben. I've just popped out to a few hardware stores in the area - one of which didn't exist, one of which was closed and the other who recommended Pope's too, so I'll give them a go :-) It's debateable as to whether it's worth all the hassle of tracking it down, but I'm on a mission now!

Thanks for your help.

A few years ago I was looking for some obscure threads, in a hurry. The guys at a local garage (a tyre/exhaust/brakes/MOT place) had an amazing selection!

Maybe they were not typical, but it's worth a try..

A 3/8th whit bolt in a hook clamp is a handy way of attaching a microphone to a lighting bar. Or a speaker.

A local engineering shop ran me up a couple of 3/8th whitworth thread to M8 (IIRC) thread socket adapters, so I can pop speakers (or mics) a metre or so below a bar, using easily available and low cost M8 stud.

Archived