Working Lights

ChrisB

I couldn't find any previous posts on this topic, but then it is less exciting!

My problem is that half my stage working lights have just failed and so I thought it would be a good time to review the setup. Prior to my coming to this venue, someone had installed a pair of 250W metal-halide discharge lamps for this purpose. I appreciate that these lamps are very efficient giving over four times the light per watt compared to tungstan lamps, but they do have some disadvantages. They are heavy (so difficult to move), bulky (so get in the way), take 5 minutes to reach full brightness, and take about 15 minutes after switch off before they can be relit!

I know that many venues use the standard 500W quartz-halogen floodlights for there workers, but as I estimate that we have them on for in excess of 600 hours in a twelve month period, higher efficiency would be desirable.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'd avoid tungsten/halogen floods as the lamp-life is tediously short. What about fluorescent tubes (twin 6' in suitable cages) for instant-ish on, and/or 150W or 70W HQI metal halide floods which are less bulky (the 70W similar to a 500W tungsten sunflood).

If Rob's suggestion of twin 6' fluorescent tubes are too bulky, you can get fluorescent 'floods' which take a number of the compact tubes with a reflector. Or fluorescent tasklights, sold as free standing but should be easy to fix up. They have a 38W D lamp which is about the same as a 250W halogen.

Thanks for the suggestions.

As we have a full fly tower and rising curtain, there in't really anywhere to fit standard flourescents. The existing workers are hung on the ends of the front lighting bar.

Smaller metal-halide floods might take up less spce, but will still have the warmup and restrike delay problems. I have been looking for flourescent floods, but the only ones I have found so far are too small (I would need about 20 of them to produce the equivalent light level), but I will keep looking.

As we have a full fly tower and rising curtain, there in't really anywhere to fit standard flourescents.

We have twin 6' fluorescents mounted on the ceiling above the grid & on the undersides of the fly floors which give very good working light - obviously YMMV.

• 2 weeks later...

At some point in the past, somebody I know mentioned that Derby Playhouse had found some combined units that they were using as workers. These were a 500W TH flood mounted with a low power discharge source. This has the advantage of instant light when required, but with a change over to the discharge source automatically after a fixed time period. I've no more information about them, but it may be worth a phone call.

Glyn

The earlier replies gave me some new ideas for Google searches. This has resulted in finding the site www.lowenergyworld.com (a mail order company based in Uttoxeter). Their website advertised a 52W low energy flood, however on talking to them, I found that this has been discontinued as its quality wasn't good enough but they now can supply a 42W low energy flood supposedly giving the equivalent of around 250W tungstan.

As this looks like a feasible option, I have ordered one to try out.

Archived