Un-Balanced to Balanced Coil

james.sealey

Hi Guys

Bit of a technical question for a Friday morning, but I need some advice/guidance on an audio coil to convert an unbalanced signal to a balanced one.

I already have a nifty little unit which I acquired a while ago which is essentially two phono sockets in, two coils and then two balanced XLR outputs. It's unpowered and doesn't seem to attenuate, as when plugged into a balanced line level input on our desk I get a reasonable line level signal.

However I want to replicate this unit, but I cannot see any markings on the coils inside to indicate what I need to get?

I did stumble accross these, but I'm not 100% sure any of them are what I need?

Taking a stab in the dark, I would reckon I need the NTE10/3 which has one singal primary winding, and two secondary, which I'm guessing would produce a balanced signal.

Can anyone with any more knowledge/experience/know how point me in the right direction?

TIA

James

EDIT TO ADD: I know there are ready made units that I could buy to fulfill this requirement, but quite frankly the prices seem a bit... ridiculous for what they are, and I'd rather get something built myself.

Taking a stab in the dark, I would reckon I need the NTE10/3 which has one singal primary winding, and two secondary, which I'm guessing would produce a balanced signal.

Nope, you only need a single secondary as you're not really making a 'balanced' signal. What you are making is a floating signal ie the signal has no reference to ground for its operation. One circuit would be this...

post-207-1260529457_thumb.jpg

...the connection to the outer of the phono to ground being optional.

You don't want the NTE10/3 - that has a secondary outputs tapped to give either 3x or 10x gain, not a single centre-tapped winding. But you don't need a centre-tap: have a look at Shure's application note here for an example. And for that circuit the 1:1 Neutrik transformer would be fine.

[note to self: learn to type faster!]

What about the ready built unit mentioned in this post ? I've just bought one and put it in a slightly larger box with jack sockets for connections but I haven't got round to trying it yet!

Thanks Hilary, I have seen those around, but they have an unbalanced phono output.

I think I'm best opening the unit I acquired and getting some pics on here for you guys to get a clearer picture of what I have in my head!

Thanks

James

Thanks for the input guys. One question though, in relation to Brians suggestion, in the current unit I have the input and output grounds are isolated, I'll try and get a photo upp'd of the PCD layout which may help?

Depends on what the unbalanced kit is and what sort of earthing it has (if any). A 'ground lift' switch might not go amiss.

Nope, you only need a single secondary as you're not really making a 'balanced' signal. What you are making is a floating signal ie the signal has no reference to ground for its operation. One circuit would be this...

post-207-1260529457_thumb.jpg

...the connection to the outer of the phono to ground being optional.

my bad, brian! you're absolutely right there. it's too early in the morning for me..

Yes, they have a phono connector on the output but that doesn't mean that it isn't balanced.

Unless I'm missing something (huge) here, a phono connector is NOT balanced.

In my head, the definition (roughly) of a balanced signal is one where the '+' and the '-' of the signal not only travel down seperate cables to the 'screen' but also down cables which have the same impedance. By definition, a balanced cable/connector therefore must have 3 'pins': '+','-' and 'screen'. Examples being 3pin XLR, Stereo jack plug etc.

Connectors such as phono or mono jack are UNbalanced.

James

Not quite, it's perfectly possible to have 2-wire balanced circuits. Don't confuse the physical connector with the signal it is transmitting!

It's only when you tie one end to ground that it becomes unbalanced...

Take one of those cheapy boxes, connect the transformer outputs to pins 2/3 of the XLR, connect pin 1 of the XLR to the ground of the icoming (perhaps via a ground lift switch) and you've built precisely the circuit Brian describes in his diagram.

Connectors such as phono or mono jack are UNbalanced.

Connectors are connectors. Balancing is a property of the circuit, not the connectors that make it up.

Archived