Un-Balanced to Balanced Coil

james.sealey

Take one of those cheapy boxes, connect the transformer outputs to pins 2/3 of the XLR, connect pin 1 of the XLR to the ground of the icoming (perhaps via a ground lift switch) and you've built precisely the circuit Brian describes in his diagram.

... which is what I have done, although I have used 3 pole jacks rather than XLR connectors. I was in the process of trying to compose an explanation and then realised that Bruce had put it far more succinctly than my attempt.

Yes, they have a phono connector on the output but that doesn't mean that it isn't balanced.

Unless I'm missing something (huge) here, a phono connector is NOT balanced.

Thanks Bruce for providing the full explanation - the key thing to remember is not to assume anything about the internal circuitry from looking at the external connector. XLR's can just as easily be connected to unbalanced circuits inside a piece of gear as phonos can be connected to balanced circuits.

Cheers

James.

Archived