strand tempus 2g 24 data sheet?

tewstrose

hiya,

I have a tempus 2g 24 which I'm currently trying to convert to DMX via a mux which I'm building,

but I'm stuck,

I don't know how much power the tempus takes or how it takes it, :)

I was wondering if anyone knew how it does this or where I could find a datasheet/manual that would tell me the info I need?

thanks

simon

hiya,

I have a tempus 2g 24 which I'm currently trying to convert to DMX via a mux which I'm building,

but I'm stuck,

I don't know how much power the tempus takes or how it takes it, :)

I was wondering if anyone knew how it does this or where I could find a datasheet/manual that would tell me the info I need?

thanks

simon

Check out Strand Archive. I am pretty convinced its -10volts though, but check!

(Just as well you say to check, cos that's wrong <_<

The desk output is 0 to -10 V.

However, the desk supply is somewhere around -15V

If you supply the desk with -10, it'll only provide around -8V at 100%

(Just as well you say to check, cos that's wrong :(

The desk output is 0 to -10 V.

However, the desk supply is somewhere around -15V

If you supply the desk with -10, it'll only provide around -8V at 100%

Thanks, <_<

so if it's -15V via pin 7 where does it come out? or does it come out at all?

I used to have a Tempus desk. My recollection is that it only gets its power from the dimmer pack - there is no built in power supply. If you want to add electronics, you might find it better to build in your own power supply, or use a plug brick-type supply.

Nigel

I used to have a Tempus desk. My recollection is that it only gets its power from the dimmer pack - there is no built in power supply. If you want to add electronics, you might find it better to build in your own power supply, or use a plug brick-type supply.

Nigel

Only get power from the racks. at -15v. best option maybe to do what strand did with the lx desks and put a 2.5mm socket in it and attach an external power supply. ( I assume you can still buy the power supplies I hope so just in case mine stops working one day).

Cheers

Lxtechman

Yep - the -15v is taken from the dimmer racks via the 8-pin Octal plug/socket and then sent back to the rack in the same cable on the relevant 6 pins/common to drive the dimmer circuitry.

What I'm actually unsure of is whether the desk takes (on a 24-way) the input -15v on each cable and supplies each group of 6 individually...

I suspect that it in fact does do this, as you don't have to use any one specific group to run the desk (eg you can use the cable for ch 1-6 or 19-24 and it will still work a single 6-pack). Alternatively, the power rail may simply be commoned up inside the desk.

Either way you'd need to check this and any external power you supplied would need to conform. Either modify the desk (if required) or send the same -15v again down each of the 4 cables from the demux you're making.

All of the pins 7 are commoned through diodes, so that the dimmer rack power supplies don't try to drive one another. The 6 & 12 channel Tempus desks would work with only one dimmer pack attached but the 18, 24, 30 & 36 channel desks required a minimum of two dimmer packs to supply sufficient current for the desk to operate correctly. I used to have an original Strand schematic 30 odd years ago, but unfortunately after several house moves it's gone to big grid in the sky. You could try the service section of one of the longer term lighting suppliers to see if they still have one around. Northern Light in Edinburgh would be a good place to start.

If you're building an analog to DMX unit you'll need a PSU anyway.

Make it supply -15V (desk), +15V for op amp V+ inversion output, if needed; +5/12V multiplexer/DMX electronics and an earth 0V rail. You may need up to 1Amp+.

You might find a PC switched mode power module would provide you with a useful set of voltages, but a PC uses a lot (amps) at 5V and litlle of other voltages so check the specs, maybe just enough.

Analogue two preset desks are really basic op amp electronics and you should be able to work out the circuit from the board.

For the analog to DMX check out multiplexers from Soundlight.de.

All of the pins 7 are commoned through diodes, so that the dimmer rack power supplies don't try to drive one another. The 6 & 12 channel Tempus desks would work with only one dimmer pack attached but the 18, 24, 30 & 36 channel desks required a minimum of two dimmer packs to supply sufficient current for the desk to operate correctly. I used to have an original Strand schematic 30 odd years ago, but unfortunately after several house moves it's gone to big grid in the sky. You could try the service section of one of the longer term lighting suppliers to see if they still have one around. Northern Light in Edinburgh would be a good place to start.

I will try and find out all my lighting desk and rack schematics. I know we had stuff for tempus racks and desks. just cant remember where the heck we put them after our last shuffle and moves.

Will ask tommrrow the boss (well she looks after the books and the filing) or one of the chaps who did our servicing fingers crossed

Lxtechman

I know you are enthusiastic about this project and I don't wish to dampen your spirits. However, by the time you have had all those parts shipped to the UK, purchased a power supply and enclosure, built a 24 channel voltage inverting board and put the whole system together, you are looking at a large cash outlay. You might be better spending that on a second hand desk.

Archived