Audio Socapex

Dan Appleby

Hi Guys,

Quick question...

I want to make up an audio socapex system, but I'm struggling to find a 'standard' pin configuration anywhere on the web. Obviously I want it to cross-compatible with other systems for sub hire etc etc - does anyone have a pin configuration they could send me or know where I could get one from??

Cheers.

Dan,

Does this syem have to be used with a range of different systems, or is it specific to one type? If you make a suitable amprack patch panel and Socapex to Speakon tails to suit your needs, then standard lighting Soca can be used in between...

Simon

We use a very simple system: -

Soca Pin 1 = NL4 No 1, 1+

Soca Pin 2 = NL4 No 1, 1-

Soca Pin 3 = NL4 No 1, 2+

Soca Pin 4 = NL4 No 1, 2-

Soca Pin 5 = NL4 No 2, 1+

Soca Pin 6 = NL4 No 2, 1-

Soca Pin 7 = NL4 No 2, 2+

Soca Pin 8 = NL4 No 2, 2-

Soca Pin 9 = NL4 No 3, 1+

Soca Pin 10 = NL4 No 3, 1-

Soca Pin 11 = NL4 No 3, 2+

Soca Pin 12 = NL4 No 3, 2-

Soca Pin 13 = NL4 No 4, 1+

Soca Pin 14 = NL4 No 4, 1-

Soca Pin 15 = NL4 No 4, 2+

Soca Pin 16 = NL4 No 4, 2-

Soca Pins 17-19 Not connected.

AFAIK This is the same configuration that both Orbital and Autograph use.

It can also depend what cabinets you intend to use the system with. For example, on unpowered Meyer kit there is a different convention for wiring depending on whether you are driving subs or tops to prevent possible damage through incorrect connection, leading to different sets of tails for each type of box.

It can also depend what cabinets you intend to use the system with. For example, on unpowered Meyer kit there is a different convention for wiring depending on whether you are driving subs or tops to prevent possible damage through incorrect connection, leading to different sets of tails for each type of box.

Phil, what do you mean by this? The old bi-amp full range boxes, like UPA, MSL-3, MSL-2 all use pins 1-4 of the EP connector, low section on 1,2, and high section on 3,4. The subs of the day, 650R, and USW-1, use pins 1-4 as 2 pairs with 1 driver on each pair. Assuming you were not paying attention, it shouldn't be too hard to blow up the horn drivers by powering them from a sub amp output. They all use pins 1-4 of the either an EP4, or EP5, pin 5 of an EP5 is unused.

Mac

im just about to make up a few of the above, whitch way round is the norm

1) male to amps end (keeping to the good old pins never live)

or

2) male to cabs to avoid dimmer being pluged in to cabs.

vdc seem to go with option 1 see below

http://www.vdctrading.com/images/products/1026.jpg

cheers

Dan

Why not just pop into SFL and borrow a set of ours. You can pin them out.

I have the diagrams somewhere but I am a little bit far away right now! The "standard" we use is the same as Entec and Dobsons for EP5. In an 18 wire world you cannot do sense drive on all 4 ep5 channels so we do 2 with and 2 without.

Obviously this is within a d&b context.

In reality Dan, why not just do your own thing? If you are hiring in more stuff the you will be taking it in pairs ( both ends) anyway?

M

Sorry for the slight thread tangent here.

Phil, what do you mean by this? The old bi-amp full range boxes, like UPA, MSL-3, MSL-2 all use pins 1-4 of the EP connector, low section on 1,2, and high section on 3,4. The subs of the day, 650R, and USW-1, use pins 1-4 as 2 pairs with 1 driver on each pair. Assuming you were not paying attention, it shouldn't be too hard to blow up the horn drivers by powering them from a sub amp output. They all use pins 1-4 of the either an EP4, or EP5, pin 5 of an EP5 is unused.

Indeed. UPAs etc are wired LF+, LF-, HF-, HF+ (1-4 on EP4/5) with the subs 2-, 1-, 1+, 2+ (again, 1-4) so when you plug a UPA into a sub rack you present the HF with poth positive outputs and the LF with the negatives. Whilst no guarantee that damage cannot occur it offers another level of protection at very little cost, potentially giving you enough time to realise something isn't quite right.

im just about to make up a few of the above, whitch way round is the norm

1) male to amps end (keeping to the good old pins never live)

or

2) male to cabs to avoid dimmer being pluged in to cabs.

In this instance, personal safety prevails over equipment. You can get very large voltage swings from amplifier outputs, so Soca is run the same way as it would be for power, the same as it is for EP5 etc (which always confused things when people used XLR for speaker, which was run the same way as mic cable!).

You may want to make sure both ends of your Soca are labelled clearly to prevent cross-patching with power (or never leave an unterminated male end lying around).

Edited to add second response

Thanks for the all repsonses chaps... very helpful.

Mark - that was my plan - but all your soca systems are out at the moment! Hope your having fun in Ghana!

We are making an 8-way 2 core system - I think I'll go for the obvious option of Circuit 1 - Pins 1&2, Circuit 2 - Pins 3&4, Circuit 3 - Pins 5&6 etc etc

Also, I have decided to make the socapex genders run the opposite way round to lighting soca (despite what people have suggested) - too paranoid that a numpty local crew would manage to connect lighting soca to speaker boxes - Apparently 240V into 8ohms isn't ideal... 'It makes your speakers very very loud for a very very short amount of time' ;)

We are making an 8-way 2 core system - I think I'll go for the obvious option of Circuit 1 - Pins 1&2, Circuit 2 - Pins 3&4, Circuit 3 - Pins 5&6 etc etc

Also, I have decided to make the socapex genders run the opposite way round to lighting soca (despite what people have suggested) - too paranoid that a numpty local crew would manage to connect lighting soca to speaker boxes - Apparently 240V into 8ohms isn't ideal... 'It makes your speakers very very loud for a very very short amount of time' ;)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

If your worried about local crew pluging up wrong then you (or your techs) should be pluging your own system in.

Live male ends is dangerous, there is a reason male goes to dimmers and its the same reason it goes to amps!

also if you ever are sub hireing, everyone elses kit goes male to amps, so your going to end up running half the socca one way half the other.

I think your overestimateing the problem, boxes dont get destroyed by dimmers often, you just keep your cables away from lampies and use common sense

Apparently 240V into 8ohms isn't ideal... 'It makes your speakers very very loud for a very very short amount of time' ;)

Equally, 240V into the amp rack outputs doesn't do too much good either! I think I would prefer to use the live on female convention, but put conspicuous markings on the Soca connectors that denoted its use for audio.

Simon

Archived