If I had £200 to spend......

Chris Adam

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All good advice. The boots aswell, though remember that you do get what you pay for. Of course, cheap steelies will be just as safe as they all have to pass the minimum guidelines, but they might be hurting your feet by the end of the shift, especially if you're sitting down time is less than 10 minutes. Though, cheap ones and feet hurting at the end of the day are better than none and feet missing in action at the end of the day.

The clear answer here is that even to get the basics for freelance without any equipment as such, you can soon rack up a fair bit more than £200.

If we take a pair of headphones at £100,

A multi tool at £40

Some more tools in a box and a multimeter at £35

Earplugs at £20-£200 if we use the example above (though custom moulds will be an improvement but at 5 or 6 times the cost)

Steelies £20-£100

Maglite £15 (With the blue room written on it)

Cable Tester £20

DMX Tester.....how much were they again, about £100?

PLI £200 per year.....every year...

Budget SPL Meter £20

And that's before you have your GYOTS (Get you out of trouble) Adaptors, jumpers, and boxes.

I estimate there is £180 of GYOTS cables, jumpers, adaptors, boxes and stuff in each of my GYOTS boxes. Though they do have things like a passive 2ch DI, 2 variable PSU's, guitar straps, strings and bass strings, picks, a pair of drum sticks, a drum key, and a 2 D cell LED torch in them aswell, and lots of other stuff besides the adaptors, but they're useful.

Hi Vis £2

Hard Hat..... how much are they nowadays I've never bought one, only acquired...

harness.. all a bit more specific....

MP3 player with mains charger,

This is all before you have bought a single mic, amp, speaker, desk, eq, etc.

Oops - just realised this is supposed to be from a personal view, not the essentials for your company... oh well.

For me:

Decent earplugs. (moulded)

A nice pair of headphones

As a lighting bod, swatch book would be useful. I miss mine terribly.

Enough connectors to make a new set of adaptors and cables - again, you can never have enough.

A dirt cheap set of screwdrivers - again you can never have too many, and whilst its lovely to have a nice set of decent gear, a set of cheap stuff for "make it work" (or GYOT to paraphrase Rob) solutions is very practical.

Steelies.

Speaking as a venue tech though, my priorities are:

* Continuity tester/multimeter

* Ratchet Straps. Frankly, you can never have enough.

* Even more adaptors.

Seems a good place to ask this question; if it takes off, I'll split it later.

Tools - Stanley knives. Never been terribly impressed with the build of the retractable types, before long that stop locking or are a cow to change the blade. I used one of these earlier this week. Does anyone know of an on-line UK seller, or even a shop in meat-space that stocks Hazit tools? It is a seriously nicely made tool! Well worth 20Euro, but I'd rather not spend E10 shipping it.

I did have something similar to that a while back for modeling purposes was very good, easy to use and to change the blade. don't have it any more however so can't help with brand or anything like that but try local modeling shops they might have something similar for around the same if not lower price

Seems a good place to ask this question; if it takes off, I'll split it later.

Tools - Stanley knives. Never been terribly impressed with the build of the retractable types, before long that stop locking or are a cow to change the blade. I used one of these earlier this week. Does anyone know of an on-line UK seller, or even a shop in meat-space that stocks Hazit tools? It is a seriously nicely made tool! Well worth 20Euro, but I'd rather not spend E10 shipping it.

linky I think these are the same knives under a different brand name

Archived