If I had £200 to spend......

Chris Adam

Everyone starts out differently, but if you had a couple of hundred quid to make your first purchases - what would they be?

Mine were:

Headphones

a multitool

a book on the disipline I want to get into

a cable tester

and a box to put it all in with tape, torch, sharpies etc.

your turns.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would have to pretty much agree with what you've said.

I've found my Leatherman Kick invaluable over the last 4 years or so I've had it. It has saved me in so many different occasions both on a technical level and personally.

LX Tape, Sharpie's and the like are also invaluable. I'm actually surprised at how much tape we use.

Oh, And for anyone planning on starting up a small PA Hire Company. Public Liability Insurance is a must!

ERR, Just realised this is in General Forum, not the next generation - So everyone should have PLI Anyways!!!

A copy of BS7909.

Currently priced around the £180ish mark!

Oh what a fun life you lead.....

..I'll go for Beer, £200 is around 100 pints

EEEEEeeeeeerrrrrrrmmmmm.........holding glass of wine in left hand, while typing with the right (Well I'm not but you get the idea, that I'm not quite sober at the moment :wall:

I bascally replied to spend some money that I wouldn't normally spend, Top of the pecking order for me at the moment is 32 / 64A 3PNE distros, and cable, more dimmers, more mics etc, etc.......

My personal salary buys the alcohol :oops: Company money buys the consumables, repairs, new product.......etc

Unless you're setting up your own hire/events company (which requires more than £200 worth of kit and insurance etc) then I see no reason to spend £200 on equipment.

Tools, steelies, stationary (included sharpies and dyno labelling stuff). And it's always useful to have gaffa and lx in the kit, even if most venues supply them.

Oh I'd invariably find something really cool to take to jobs that everyone else doesnt bother to buy and therefore borrows from me..

past purchases along these lines are:

LeathermEn (if someone else is going to break it might as well get one with warranty!)

Head torcheS (always petzl more of a loss when the buggers loose them)

DI boxes (always go walkies)

My HD25 headphones. (watched over by armed guards with shoot to kill instructions! hahah)

RTA/Measurement kit

Various USB- audio convertors including one with direct phantom power..

Cable testers.

Audio cable convertors

etc etc etc

However right now I'd probably get me 200£ worth of those wee cheap em700 condensor mics on thomann for all the beach jobs I do where "normal" kit is too good to take... with kit & beach jobs - once sand gets in, it doesnt ever completely come out!

From a lighting perspective...

A good quality Leatherman or other multi tool

A Wing nut tool (saves destroying the wing nuts and my thumb!)

2 small to medium AJs

A good quality book which comprehensively covers the first ten spots and the kit you work with.

A mobile phone! It's very difficult to work and get work without one of these. My mate lost a weeks work because his phone was on the glitch, sad times.

That roughly works out at £150, use the rest to go and see as many quality shows as you can in the sphere of production you want to work in! The more you see, the more ideas you can 'borrow' from other designers!

Archived