DMX Splitters

michael

Sorry, but why?

To be frank, once you've collected the box, the sockets, the electronics, the PSU, etc, then spent time putting it all together, you could have bought one for not a great deal more than the sum of teh parts...

Unless you want it as a learning project, why bother?

Sorry, but why?

To be frank, once you've collected the box, the sockets, the electronics, the PSU, etc, then spent time putting it all together, you could have bought one for not a great deal more than the sum of teh parts...

Unless you want it as a learning project, why bother?

I just thought it would be cheaper but maybe not could I not just put the connecters in line and link them with cable or would that not work

Yup - for the sake of £80 seems like a lot of work

Unless as someone said above - a learning experience.

or - turn it in to a new UK manufacturing concern ;))

PS - you can get a pretty decent 5-6 way split for the same price as the one shown on your link

Why would you want a DMX splitter!? its pointless

Erm....

1] Star topography give less single points of failure

2] When running over 20 units in a chain data can get a bit "choppy", remember spec is for 32 (inc transmitter) units on the chain. If you had a rig of 40 units on a single universe you will need a splitter.

3] ....

Shall I continue?

You can make one yourself using this homepage http://users.skynet.be/kristofnys/ see under DMX boster

Whilst that circuit does have an opto-isolated input, the outputs are not isolated from each other. IMO that is bad. Personally I would never buy (or make) a DMX splitter unless the outputs were fully isolated. I'd end regretting it one day.

Archived