Sound Levels

LEE

This thing was even wired up to trip if you opened the emergency exits (presumably because that would increase the external volume)

More likely that they want the sound killed in an emergency so people can hear escape instructions.

This thing was even wired up to trip if you opened the emergency exits (presumably because that would increase the external volume)

More likely that they want the sound killed in an emergency so people can hear escape instructions.

Don't think so as there was a notice on the fire exits warning not to open them as it was part of the noise protection system. Also it was only a small hall - which still makes it even more bizarre to have this system.

From discussion afterwards it turns out that there are 3 neighbouring houses of which one is stroppy & has made them install the system. Makes me glad we were playing in winter as I'm sure he'd have complained in the summer time (i.e., his doors & windows open at night). But not going back there again.

Surely he can’t complain if the sound is below a certain regulation level which I thought was usually 90db (but can be much higher, I think that is the after midnight rule in residential places though I may be wrong) although in most places the local authority’s as discussed many times here set regulations as well but I would have thought as long as the noise levels are below this the guy would not have a leg to stand on to complain? The noise reg levels in this place can’t be that low that the limiter is set so low that it is set of by brownies not even using amplified sound?

Someone ought to tell this guy to get lost and set the limiter to the local regulations and tell him they will only take it seriously if they are above these and if he complains when levels are below these he is just being miserable. How come if things where that bad didn’t the other houses complain as I am sure they would if it was a serious problem?

My last question I don’t expect you to answer as8602 as you won’t have a clue about the situation but could someone please tell me the right this man would have to complain if the levels of sound are within the local regulation. Surely he can’t make the place fit a limiter and even if he can he can’t make them set it lower than the regulations of the area can he? ;)

My last question I don’t expect you to answer as8602 as you won’t have a clue about the situation but could someone please tell me the right this man would have to complain if the levels of sound are within the local regulation. Surely he can’t make the place fit a limiter and even if he can he can’t make them set it lower than the regulations of the area can he? ;)

He has every right if there is a specific noise limit in the venue's entertainment license, which is common for venues in residential areas.

Surely he can’t complain if the sound is below a certain regulation level...as the noise levels are below this the guy would not have a leg to stand on to complain?

In the councils eyes he would have every right to complain if the noise was causing a disturbance, no matter what the level. A central manchester rock venue was almost closed down recently due to complaints from a new residential development nearby*.

If you tell people with a valid complaint to get lost you may well find you PEL revoked withing the blink of an eye! Try using a bit of tact or at the very least being subtle about it, it takes an amazingly small number of complaints to get a venue shut down.

*If anyone knows the case I'd just like to point out that I was entirely on the side of the venue in that one.

The complaint is the NUISANCE not the sound level. Any attempt to rationalise by spl only comes afterwards when a complaint is accepted. The venue interior level is set to minimise the outside nuisance level. so will depend on noise insulation including doors opening

• 2 weeks later...
There's a venue we regularly work (we're a giuld of students, its a hall of residence) That has a sound activated power tripper which can be triggered with a good loud shout, as a result of which we always used to take some black tat and gaffa for its mic. Recently be discontented from the mains anyway.

It would be a bit of work but could you not have a simple home made detecting device that is set to a sound level that you have pre set. When the level is reached it say flashes lots or does something.

Its simple but might work.

Canford sell a number of units by Castle that seem to fit the description (pages 812-3 of current catalogue): I.e flash a warning sign when the sound level hits a prescribed value.

Lee, Formula Sound make the Sound Sentry which lists for about £550. Maplin do a sound level meter

that will give you a visual display on 12 leds. This will give you a box that will give them a reference for how loud they can be

Formula Sound make the Sound Sentry which lists for about £550.

Also the AVC2 from Formula Sound is worth checking out, as it doesn't cut the Mains power but instead reduces the level discretely to a pre- determined threshold.

IMHO having just an indicator and no active control is fruitless, unless you, yourself want to stand there and give the engineer a nudge if you see the red lights staying on. We've had similar problems with rock concerts and much worse, DJ's who seem to think that when the clip indicators are all on and the P.A sounds like s*** they've done their job.

We use one of the Formula Sound units mentioned above in one of our Dubbing Suites and they are rather effective at showing SPL obviously (That is in a clear and obvious manner)

-=-=-

It would be a bit of work but could you not have a simple home made detecting device that is set to a sound level that you have pre set. When the level is reached it say flashes lots or does something.

As others have said, in addition to having a light that flashes, you either have to have the engineer watching the light all the time, or someone to watch the light and tell the engineer. And you have to have the willingness not to ignore the light...

:unsure: David

You need to have a hard and fast 'If you get too loud this box WILL kill your power' type scenario. I've worked on to many gigs where the DJ/Bands Engineer just keep going (always a giggle to watch the compressor kicking in further and further and further as they try in vain to get it louder). So a demonstration of the system, or failing that a house system tech that is willing to pull power, turn the Amps down is a must if you have noise limits to adhere to.

On a side note, when they build The Centaur the architect nicely specified a Formula Sound sentry type product. It was installed accross the 4 double gang 13A sockets underneath it. Not the 200A/3Ph supply behind, making it about as usefull as an ashtray on a motorcyle......for the gigs that could actually reach the nusiance limits out side the venue....

I have come across the red/amber/green type unit in a council-run venue. It was always powered up, but a key switch could over-ride the power off functionality.

It was a good job really, because the (accoustic) orchestra and chorus could get full red without amplification!

Well you could rig in something else that will make them do it like that DMX shock system B-)

I can seem to remember suggesting "+480v phantom menace" in the tea break forum...

ok, not knowing anything about this subject tp be truthful here, if its loud enough to cause a disturbance outside the venue, then surely inside the venue wouldnt you have to be wearing ear protection???

sry if that seems a bit stupid :) but hey...

My last question I don’t expect you to answer as8602 as you won’t have a clue about the situation but could someone please tell me the right this man would have to complain if the levels of sound are within the local regulation. Surely he can’t make the place fit a limiter and even if he can he can’t make them set it lower than the regulations of the area can he? :)

Quite right - I don't know! But the venue is in a village location with only three houses close by. The impression I got, from one of the "friendly" neighbours was that it was all down to one of the neighbours who was a (ex?) policeman who was the cause.

Of course, the bummer is that you could really do with seasonal changes in limits in cases like this, as higher levels are far less likely to be a problem in winter when neighbours will be indoors with all doors & windows shut.

Mind you, wonder how much noise he makes when he has a barbie in the summer? Maybe they need a sprinkler-guard system set up if he goes over limits...

Archived