Carnival Theme-Event

adam_cookson

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When I last checked.. proms were supposed to be classy

So what, exactly, is 'classy' about a room full of barely-controlled, noisy, pissed, horny, spoiled teenagers running amok? Sounds like my idea of absolute hell! :)

They start off in smart (ish) jackets and posh dresses...?

So what, exactly, is 'classy' about a room full of barely-controlled, noisy, pissed, horny, spoiled teenagers running amok? Sounds like my idea of absolute hell! wink.gif

apart from the spoiled teenagers bit... isn't that what posh parties are full of anyway?

...or have I been watching to much CSI? :D

They start off in smart (ish) jackets and posh dresses...?

and arrive in fancy (or occasionally weird) transport (im going in helicopter :) )

back on topic.......

So what, exactly, is 'classy' about a room full of barely-controlled, noisy, pissed, horny, spoiled teenagers running amok? Sounds like my idea of absolute hell! :)

You try DJ'ing for them!

GridGirl mentioned festoon lighting. Great idea! It'll look just right, it's cheap and is a decent source of ambient light as well so you can do away with house lighting. Have a look at the festoons used on Cats, they work brilliantly and I seem to remember (though may be wrong) that each colour was dimmed individually. With some careful sequencing they did look brilliant for something so simple.

Carnival is all about colour, but I don't think flashing colour is perhaps the way to go. If we're talking about a carnival as in a touring fair type thing, I'd be looking at standard incandescent lamps, just in lamp holders, and arranged on painted boards like the signs you see on some funfair rides.

You're not going to make the place into a carnival just by lighting the place well though. There needs to be plenty of other stuff in there. Treat the room almost like a set. Take notice of GridGirl's post, sideshows and "planted" cast members will make the difference.

I don't quite know where pyro's fit into a carnival, but personally I always find them a little dissapointing when it comes to creating an effect. You either need lots of them, or some very carefully placed and tastefully used. Not to mention safely.

I know the pressures in making a prom "the best yet". An ex girlfriend of mine spent most of her last year organising her prom. It probably took more of her time than her exams! All I'll say is, make sure that whatever happens, you have time to enjoy the evening too.

I'm slightly confused as to the OP's location. On the original thread somebody mentioned Yorkshire, with regard to the band that were playing. However I think the Op's location in their profile is different. If you are in Yorkshire, I know a few local people who may be able to help with hire/help.

I'm slightly confused as to the OP's location. On the original thread somebody mentioned Yorkshire, with regard to the band that were playing. However I think the Op's location in their profile is different. If you are in Yorkshire, I know a few local people who may be able to help with hire/help.

The OP's profile doesn't mention a location:

Work within local theatre, work for various companies and organizations doing Events and other technical elements to performance also in last year of College Course ND Production Arts

However his original one says this:

I am currently Studying Technical Theatre at Barnsley College and work at a Local Theatre called Take 2, while I was at my High school I used to do all Lighting work.

which gives you a better idea of his location.

Oh, and BTW, I didn't correct the SPaG, it seems to be done automatically in quotes by the forum software.

As nothingatall666 said in an earlier post, perhaps we should now wait for the OP to reappear in one or other of his guises before any more discussion takes place.

I have been asked to organize a Carnival Theme Prom and already secured-

Party Planner <for Decor>

I am after a few other things which would add to the evening such as pyrotechnics, certain lighting effects and other decorative effects.

Thanks

Adam

You have been asked to organise the event, not to design it.

You already have a Party Planner whose job should be to design the event.

If they can't then get in a separate production designer to design the event.

It would have been helpful if you had said what sort of venue is being used, and, more importantly, what is the budget for the event.

Cheers

Gerry

Adam

I see you have just turned 18, however I guess you are not the person in charge, on behalf of the school/college, and that this is an event you are arranging for your own year. (What I'm saying is, I guess you are not authorised to sign contracts on behalf of the school/college).

Where is the money coming from for the event? Have the school/college allocated funds to promote the event, or have ticket sales got to cover all the costs?

If the latter, where will the money come from for suppliers whom require payment upfront? And where will the money come from for those that don't, if the event makes a loss?

My company gets enquiries like this all the time, which when cutting through all the flowery crap and getting to the detail, 95% of them are a waste of time and from dreamers. For example, we typically offer educational establishments a 28-day credit account. However there are an increasing amount of these "Prom" type events that are actually nothing to do with the school, and the school (as an official body) detach and disown them. Therefore, the all-important question - whom is the Promoter? More often than not it ends up being the mum of one of the kids, often displeased that they won't be given the 28 days credit that the "school" were offered at the initial enquiry stage, and that they have to cough up in full, in advance, and that they will be out of pocket if the kids screw up and don't sell enough tickets.

There are also schools whom do things properly, with the school promoting the event and setting a sensible budget. They are a pleasure to deal with, albeit few & far between.

Tony

To answer all your questions so far,

The band have been secured (I was on the phone to them earlier today) and was told not to worry about lighting etc they are bringing everything, the reason there playing for free is because I have worked with them on many occasions, and also work for an organization of which the band support hugely, there is also somewhere online that if you quiz your local MP and/or other local celebs etc that you can select one of a number of artistes to play at your house/venue for nothing.

can we now please leave the band stuff alone?

This is not my school to which I am doing the Event for, I have been asked to come in and organise the event for them, so yes I can sign contracts etc, not to sound big headed here but yes I am in charge of the event,

The school usually does not put any funding up front for the Prom however I am yet to speak to the PTFA to see if we can have some budgeting the last years prom was organised on self funding,

Ceed you have hit the nail on the head, having looked at the festoon lighting that was suggest and you brought it up again, I have looked into this and this is the sort of thing which I want- Thanks

The Party Planner whom I hire is just for decor only, she comes up with a few ideas but more than likely we discuss together what id like the room to look like etc (reason I came on here for ideas etc)

Last years prom cost around 5 Thousand pounds here is a rough breakdown

Lighting Hire- £150

Band - £250

Security- £200

Room, Buffett - £1,900

Decor - £500

DJ- £275

Ticket Printing, promotion etc- £150

That is just off the top of my head- which comes to 3,425 we then went out to local warehouses and bought other items.

The location of this event is "The Scarlett Lounge" Brooklands Hotel, Barnsley, South Yorkshire

What I am trying to achieve as a Carnival Theme is Bright Vibrant colours, old style fairs, samba bands etc

About my double ID- Paulears was meant to be delting the other account (which he will do when he gets round to it, im hoping)

Thanks

Adam

PS- if I have missed something out sorry!

OK. So, we are looking at a capacity of one hundred if you go for the theatre layout?

For other wishing to look: http://brooklands.partyjungle.co.uk/uimage...0Dimensions.jpg

Still not convinced on the tech specs of this venue, will google and see if I can find anything else.

Also looks like you are stuck with 13a sockets (all that I can find so-far), with an awful lot of them (but wondering how it will handle under load).

OK. So, we are looking at a capacity of one hundred if you go for the theatre layout?

For other wishing to look: http://brooklands.partyjungle.co.uk/uimage...0Dimensions.jpg

Still not convinced on the tech specs of this venue, will google and see if I can find anything else.

Also looks like you are stuck with 13a sockets (all that I can find so-far), with an awful lot of them (but wondering how it will handle under load).

haha thanks! although it says online it holds 100 they have told us 250 (350 Max)

Last year we had a small lighting rig 12 LED Pars, 2 Movers, 4 Scanners then obviously hazer plus band PA etc it all seemed fine nothing blew and the manager seemed quite happy (I asked him to come down and give it a glance over, to see if everything was fine with him) he did bring the hotels electrician down aswell.

Thanks

Adam

Hope my previous post has helped people understand more?

The band have been secured (I was on the phone to them earlier today) and was told not to worry about lighting etc they are bringing everything,

*band and crew arrive to find lighting already set up (which could be worse than the provided lighiting)*

'heya mate, we're just gona put up out lights. You don't mind if we move some of your stuff do you?'

'nah, thats find. do what you like'

*crew start to dismantle your stuff and put up the rig they have experiance with*

'could you leave that where it is?'

*small argument about lighting, not the same relationship as before, band LX clashes with the planned theme etc*

so who's providing the lighting? :rolleyes:

_____

edit to add quote box

Adam,

I think you really DO want to do as I suggested before and take a step back and just look at what you're proposing and look from the perspective of those of us with MANY more years organisational experience.

OK - you've secured your band, but though you seem to want to gloss over this one, I haven't seen anything from you as yet which would put my mind at ease were I anything to do with this event.

What detail do you have of what that band needs for ALL aspects of this gig, and more importantly (perhaps) what they WANT??

Most if not all would be contained in a full rider. It matters nowt if this gig is free or costing a hundred grand - the necessities are still there and any band worth their salt will give advance notice of what these are in a rider.

I'd be interested however in this online site where you can get 'free celebs' - do you have the URL?

This party planner - is he/she included in your budget of £500? If so that doesn't leave a huge amount for the actual decor - even if they're not, £500 to do a decent job isn't a massive figure. But if you're hiring them to plan the decor, then surely it's their job (as has already been said) to do just that - PLAN...? Fine, give them ideas and have a veto, but they should be allowed to do their job, yes? But to say 'for decor only' would surely tie their hands. A planner should be in the position of co-ordinator - co-ordinating all aspects of an event. Which seems to be what you're doing yourself, so isn't this duplication of tasks and responsibilities?

Anyway - a budget of £5000.

Expected tickets to be sold 250 (going on your figures, not the venue's...)

So £20 a ticket IF you want to just break even by selling EVERY ticket.

That is a darned close margin with NO comfort zone, so my guess is you'd need to hit £30 a ticket to be on the safe side. Now as I've already said I'm out of touch with teenage party tickets (though that changes next year when my eldest finishes her yr 11...!) - but is £30 a reasonable price to pay for a function ticket these days? On top of the posh frock/suit and a stretch limo to take them there and cash for drinks etc...?

And as has also been said already, you'll need to stump up a goodly percentage of that budget in advance, so you'd best hope the PTA is feeling generous...!

Adam, you don't have to feel that this is all a downer on you, but unless we can see that you've thought about and dealt with all of these issues and more, I hope you realise that these are merely words of caution, not just negative thoughts...

I understand what you are saying

Ynot I have asked the band for there rider many of times and have been told not to worry we will bring everything we need that is the end of that the prom isnt till July so im not at all worried about nothing being secured or whatever they have said they will do it that is that for time being, to be honest, we dont need that certain band at all it will be nice to have them yes but if they dont play it isnt a loss

The party planner comes and just decorates for me she doesnt do any "planning" she brings the decor puts it up and goes (this is another friend) so she doesnt charge ecessivly,

The tickets went for £20 last year the idea isnt to make any profit at all, we are looking at raising prices to £25 this year as they paid last years increase of £5 from £15 to £20 to feel because of the venue hire going up slightly we feel that the increase of tickets should increase (makes total sense if you ask me)

Thanks for everyones help etc I will keep you all posted in how things progress etc (I do not know the exact URL) as it was mentioned by the band members themselve the reason they are doing the gig for free is because of that site etc)

like ive send a thousand times if I get into difficulty with the band etc I will then bring it back up however from now on the band is sorted and I will start persuing them up in the new year.

Ive got everything I need out of this topic and wish for it to be left unless anyone else has any other ideas such as those Festoon lights etc Thanks

Adam

Archived