Carnival Theme-Event

adam_cookson

I have been asked to organize a Carnival Theme Prom and already secured-

Security

Party Planner <for Decor>

Band (not discussing this as it already kicked up a fuss last time)

the band are bringing there own PA and Lighting

Professional Dancers

I am after a few other things which would add to the evening such as pyrotechnics, certain lighting effects and other decorative effects.

Thanks

Adam

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm after YOUR job mate!

I'd love to be working on these gigs with LITTLE OR NO KNOWLEDGE OR EXPERIENCE!!

The Blue Room is here to HELP you, not DO ALL YOUR WORK FOR YOU.

You've posted a lot of threads that are asking people to do your thinking for you, by accepting this task when you lack the ability or creativity to do it yourself, you have successfully done someone else out of an opportunity to use the knowledge and creativity they DO have!

Sorry, to rip you; but you're a serial offender on this point!

I do have ideas etc and have chosen the theme myself and thought of many many many other ideas to go with this event as I thought this board was for helping people and sharing previous knowledge it would be nice to know if someone else had done a Carnival themed event and what they had etc, why have an attitude straight away with me? saying I have no experience do you know what ive done before? what I have worked on who with? no you dont so do NOT go off on one you have no right at all to do that!

Mods could you please delete the above post? and try and get back on topic?

Cheers

Moderation: I am going to jump in here and stop this getting out of hand. Blue Room facts of life are that there are many more people who read the forum than actually post, and posters who do post material that doesn't actually ask a question (sorry Adam, but if you read your post again, you'll see that instead of asking peoples advice on things you've come up with, you've just said this:

I am after a few other things which would add to the evening such as pyrotechnics, certain lighting effects and other decorative effects.

You are after these things - so that's a kind of statement, not a question. I cannot blame people for not knowing what you actually want them to post?

It does appear that this event is very important to you, and you wish to tell us all how big, complicated and expensive it's going to be. You've now told us you want certain lighting effects to go with the pyros, and I'm not even sure what decorative effects even are?

Quality questions generate quality answers - and just leaving us to guess is never a way to convince us you have a handle on all of this. Asking a question like this, may work.

"I want to generate the impression that a big white cloths is on fire, does a Robe 700 go really soft when you defocus it? I had some old Mac 250s that did - but I haven't tried Robes that I may be able to source cheaply - but if they don't go soft it won't generate the effect I need".

If you posted that, people would understand what you were trying to do, and chip in with, "yes it might, but only if they are X metres away" that kind of stuff.

If this topic doesn't sort itself out without slanging matches starting, fine - if it goes off the rails, which I suspect it may - we will delete it completely.

For a start, it would likely be worth giving us YOUR definition of the word "carnival".

The Rio Carnival (which happens just before lent) is rather different from the Notting Hill Carnival (which happens in August) and both are different from the annual carnival here in the city where I live which is a flower festival in late September. However, all of these are different from what I would have called a carnival in my youth--which was a collection of travelling rides plus the usual side show stalls. Exactly what sort of carnival are you trying to recreate?

If it's any of the above, then pyro and theatrical lighting effects are likely not the main direction to go (though I suppose projection could simulate things like a ferris wheel or carousel). You're probably more likely to need lots of festoons and some well designed sets and props.

Bob

Party Planner <for Decor>

I am after a few other things which would add to the evening such as decorative effects.

Surely, this is what the party planner should be doing? Correct me if I'm wrong, but you've put in tags this party planner is doing decor, and your asking for other decoartive effects? Surely, if your paying the decor people, let them do their jobs! Also, if you bought in your own decorative effects, on top of what the decor people bring, it could quickly making something professional look very tacky, and you are likely to be treading on there toes.

Again, with the lighting effect, surely, this should be up to the band. They are rigging up all the loading bars etc. with their equipment, surely, you could ask them to take care of this?

Also, with pyro, this should be something (from my mind) that is set off during / with the band (and then you'll have all legal issues of that to deal with), or, something like confetti / streamers at the end / a big moment. You wouldn't want gerbs, as you don't want it to look like there is a riot in the middle of your carnival (unless of course, you do).

OK< Adam,

I think what you need to do is take a step back and ask yourself some pretty basic questions.

Such as "What am I trying to achieve?" (Definite emphasis on the 'I' there...)

I'd also ask whether you have the budget for a lot of the things you mention...

Yes, we've done the 'big name band' thing in your other thread, but that doesn't mean it's outside of the list of questions needing an answer...

Because who/what that band is - eg style, size, genre - can have a HUGE effect on exactly what you do with the rest of your plans.

Pro dancers - are they also coming for free?

You didn't answer the question on whether all the crew coming with this major named band are working for nowt. And whether the kit they'll be bringing is also an under-the-counter deal too...

Now - back at the crux.

This is for a school prom.

So again - what exactly are you aiming for?

Presumably this is an end of year dance, with a live band, and a themed decor, presumably in the school hall or gym?

You mention above you have a Party Planner engaged for the decor... Free again?

What is their take on what the venue is going to look like? You say the carnival theme is your idea, but have they had any input to this? Are they decorating the stage/set as well as the hall?

Surely as a planner, they should give the guidance for what is needed??

How many bodies are you expecting to attend this event? What is the likely gate take overall?

To answer one of your implied questions (as I'd agree you haven't actually asked any) unless the band is the type that would benefit from use, then I'd say don't bother. Pyros for bands are highly over-rated when not done well...

And in a school environment I'd always question the need as well.

The other burning question is why you've decided to start threads with a second BR ID - which is against the T & C of the forum... Your other ID seems still to be active........

:) The other Adam JUST beat me to a couple of points, there!

(Darn that's confusing!!) :) :D

presumably in the school hall or gym?
Alas, Ynot. Things seem to have changed since you last experienced a school prom.

All of the ones I know of (not just local ones either) are held in fancy hotels/function rooms. None of this school hall tack here. :)

Josh

Alas, Ynot. Things seem to have changed since you last experienced a school prom.

All of the ones I know of (not just local ones either) are held in fancy hotels/function rooms. None of this school hall tack here. :D

Ah, they didn't have proms when I were a lad...! :)

Proms are just another Americanisation forced on us in latter years!

However, whether it's a school hall or gym (I have heard of these spaces being used, though) or a hotel ballroom the principle is still the same - it's not a theatrical venue, hence all the infrastructure will need to be installed - staging, lighting, sound, decor, etc etc.

Ynot's definitley hit the nail on the head there.

However, whether it's a school hall or gym (I have heard of these spaces being used, though) or a hotel ballroom the principle is still the same - it's not a theatrical venue, hence all the infrastructure will need to be installed - staging, lighting, sound, decor, etc etc.

Which leads back to problems with the band, amongst others.

And, yes, these proms always end up with everyone trying to outdo everyone else, and can just end up becoming a nightmare. Which is why I just don't bother.

Sorry, that was a bit OT.

But, back to the topic:

Think of it like this:

The band are coming, and if they are as big as we've heard from other threads, then, as soon as they are on, it's going to become very un-promish, with everyone fighting to take a look at these marvelous people. All decor, fancy lighting will go out the window, just so the young adults can see some stars. They don't care wether they are doing it in a middle of a mud covered field, or in Harrods. If the band are lit blue, pink, purple, multi-coloured, or with the latest XYZ lighting effect, they simply won't care. So, if all these proffesionals are coming in, surely, decorations for a carnival are going to go straight out the window.

And, as has been mentioned about pyros, but just to re-re-iterate, care needs to be taken in every aspect, as it can turn the event of the year in to the in-famous event of the year in milli-seconds. Also, with pyro, check that the venue will allow this to happen. One near me won't allow it without a demo, one won't allow it full stop, and one needs advanced notice due to the nature of there fire alarm systems.

All food for thought.

I worked on a devised production of Edgar Allen Poe's Tales of Mystery and Imagination at drama school, and we turned the ground floor of our building into an 1800s carnival/freakshow for it. The set and props departments built a lot of sideshows to slot into the spaces (ours were all things like babies in jars, a mummy which beckoned you, a corpse in a glass coffin which was still breathing, but you could make them whatever you liked), and they were the things which really set the atmosphere. We had actors dressed as carnival barkers running around as well, and the foyer areas had twisted circus-y music playing through the PA. You could even go so far as to have some sideshow games (coconut shy, ring toss or whatever) which could be quite fun. If you have the time and money to do that sort of thing, it works well - but beware, we had a brilliant set designer, a talented set/props department, plenty of time and a decent budget, not to mention acting students to be the carnival barkers. We lit the foyers with lanterns, but that was right for the time period - I suspect that you might end up with a load of festoons. We also had the ability to do whatever we liked to the building, which made life an awful lot easier - I suspect this is a luxury that you will not have and so what you are and are not able to do in the space will make a big difference.

The band are coming ... if they are as big as we've heard ... If the band are lit blue, pink, purple, multi-coloured, or with the latest XYZ lighting effect, they simply won't care

I'd have thought the opposite to be true - if the band really are the megastars that we're being led to believe they are (and I find that quite hard to believe, given that the event is a school prom, but that's a whole other discussion with which I'm absolutely not going to get involved), then they *will* care how they're lit. They'll care quite a lot. That's why bands who are right at the very top of their game take their own LD with them wherever they go, even to festivals and the like where they know they're going to have to use a 'one rig for everyone' type of setup with minimal opportunities for customising it. The bands who don't care how they're lit are the bands who are so grateful to get any gigs at all that they'll put up with any old crap in terms of lighting.

I was refering to how the children would care about the band being lit, not the band themselves. Sorry if it came across the other way (I'll go and check it), but as soon as girls (particullarly) know that this band are there, then they become enthrawled in them, and couldn't give two hoots about what is going on. Whilst, some eye candy may go noticed, it isn't the thing that's on the top of the list for anybody. As I heard from somebody: if a power failuer happened on a concert, sound will always be placed above lights, pyro and visulizations. After all, the audience need to hear the nice, processed vocals, don't they ;-)

As I heard from somebody: if a power failuer happened on a concert, sound will always be placed above lights, pyro and visulizations. After all, the audience need to hear the nice, processed vocals, don't they ;-)

but don't tell the lampies about that :)

I would like to try and input. but the OP hasn't replied since things were put in control....

I would mention that if anyone at my school mentioned a carnival theme, they'd be laughed at.

When I last checked.. proms were supposed to be classy

*waits for OP till I reply again*

All of the ones I know of (not just local ones either) are held in fancy hotels/function rooms. None of this school hall tack here. :D

Josh

Aren't they held in the teachers' common room nowadays? or is that just in Oz? :)

Archived