Carnival Theme-Event

adam_cookson

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its not uncommon for proms to have big names in, band wise.... Although its more Universities that do it,....

The chances are the band will bring an LD. So, make a festival style rig, that will work for whatever..... Y Not is right in that its what the band WANT as opposed to what you want, 12 LED Pars and 2 Movers may have 'seemed ok' but, you have to remember that band's go for specific looks to their 'show'.

Personally, I would look at a front truss and a back truss, flown or ground support. Loose the scanners, and get 4 or 6 DECENT rider-proof movers (Macs, Robes, VLs, HES's). The use of LED Pars is a good idea, maybe if you got 18? The use some Fresnels or Source 4 profiles on the front for your 'key lighting'. And a hazer.

Stick 6 LED pars, the Source 4's and/or Fresnels on the Front Truss. On the back truss, use the remaining LED pars, and 4 spot movers. If you have a further 2 movers, stick them on the floor, or maybe the truss. If you do get only 4 spot movers, stick them ALL on the back truss, NOT 2 up 2 down, it REALLY annoys LD's. DO NOT get 2 scanners and 2 movers, get ALL spot movers, again, mixture WILL annoy LD's. Desk wise, use an Avolites Pearl for 'safety' unless otherwise specified.

If you follow my 'design' above (don't forget to tell them who did the design, me ;)) you will please any LD. They can have the stage in any colour they want, some keys, they have some movers, and lots to flash. That works nicely. Using a Pearl (and NOT anything Zero88 as the clan will tell you to any minute now...) will allow the LD ease of programming - I have never met a rock 'n' roll LD who can't use a Pearl, even if he prefers a Hog.

There you go, some pointers. I should add thats based on 20 years of working along side LD's and visiting festivals, and LDs being presented with festival rigs. With the above rig, but a lot bigger in other places, we have always had a happy LD. The Pearl is a must though..

Send me a PM if you need to source equipment, chances are I will know the LD for the band, and can work you out a deal working with a floor package we may be touring from here :rolleyes:

Ynot I have asked the band for there rider many of times and have been told not to worry we will bring everything we need that is the end of that

So they're bringing a generator then? Their reluctance to give you a rider sounds very odd to me.

I have spoken to the OP privately.

It turns out the band isn't quite as big as everyone thinks they are.... Basically the OP is under the illusion that the band will bring everything with them. This is not the case. For a one-off the band will bring their backline, a FOH engineer, most likely a monitor engineer and maybe a Lighting Designer....

The chances are 'everything' bar the backline will be in a truck. The truck will be on a day off, as it will be packed for the tour, meaning that the rigging will be on the back, then LX, then Sound etc (with this band it will be just one truck).. The backline will be in the tour bus trailer, which conveniently will be being towed by the tour bus, with the band inside it.

Essentially, thats how it works. Getting a truck with 'everything in' to move to wherever the gig is will cost money, probably £750 - £1000 if its a 28T or above, hence why YOU will need to supply a decent lighting rig, decent sound set up etc.

If the band in question is only a possibility, then they won't send you a rider. Firstly, its because theres no need for you to see if it the gig ain't going to happen. Secondly, it contains sensitive information such as contact details for the band, band's management, touring personnel and the like. Generally, riders are on a 'need to know' basis.

So they're bringing a generator then? Their reluctance to give you a rider sounds very odd to me.

x2

AdamCoppard links to the tech specs of the room somewhere above - nothing but 13A sockets by the looks of it. Whilst it's do-able with enough of them (their biggest room has 40+), there's going to be a lot of cable there! That assumes that there's more than one ring in the room too!

Talk to the venue about circuit capacity. I've been there and problems like that only show up on the day, just as you need to be using all of the power available. Don't underestimate the amount of power the noiseboys will need too. From the description of this band and their material, their system will be reasonably sizeable.

Your festoons will need a reasonable amount of power (not in the tens of kW, but enough to take notice of) as will any catering, side stalls and whatever else you decide to throw in there.

Personally I'd be looking for at least a 32A/3 supply if I was using movers, generics and a decent size sound system.

Assuming you only have the 13A sockets, hire lots of cabling. I also assume that a fair few of these sockets will be front of house, not on stage. Bear in mind any voltage drop over long runs, and protection from the public, both in terms of trips, and in terms of them turning off sockets, either accidentally or on purpose.

You mentioned samba music - if this is live, do you have any idea how loud these guys are going to be? I toured quite a few european venues with a samba band (albeit 70 strong). Front of house PA was soleley for vocals and the odd spot mic on quieter instruments (flutes in a samba band!!!???). Boy were we working that system hard! I'd have prefered larger, but it's all that would fit on the bus!

According to the venue specs the room is only 22m X 15.5 m X 3M high.

Not a lot of room for a band, their LX equipment, there sound equipment, 250 guests, samba bands, side shows, bar etc. etc.

Cheers

Gerry

It turns out the band isn't quite as big as everyone thinks they are....

Now there's a surprise! :rolleyes:

Go on, tell us who they are ...

It wouldn't be right for me to say....as I have been told in confidence.

Lets just say, that its NOT the Rolling Stones, or Oasis, or the Kaiser Chiefs, or Take That - there not arena or stadium fillers, like we may have initially thought.

Whilst the band are well known, and 'heard of' they sell out small venues like the Round House, Manc Academy, Shef Academy etc.

I've got an idea of whom it is, from digging through loads of venues pages and seeing who fits (if it is who I think, how is it fitting in with your theme (must go off to iTunes nows...)).

Now there's a surprise!

You're not the only one. And to answer questions before, then, yes, events like these school prom tickets can go for £30 upwards. We were planning on doing one for parents as part of Young Enterprise (a teacher suggested it) and the figure was £20 just for tickets. Add fancy dress, transportation that would out do anyone elses and you've easily spent a lot of money! And quite picky some young ladys get over it aswell ;-)

Now there's a surprise! :P

Go on, tell us who they are ...

It wouldn't be right for me to say....as I have been told in confidence.

Lets just say, that its NOT the Rolling Stones, or Oasis, or the Kaiser Chiefs, or Take That - there not arena or stadium fillers, like we may have initially thought.

Whilst the band are well known, and 'heard of' they sell out small venues like the Round House, Manc Academy, Shef Academy etc.

Given geography and the OP's "over-estimation" of the band's standing, I'd be guessing on The Pigeon Detectives or The Cribs at the very grandest.

If so, that hotel power is goosed!

Get a generator - sharpish before VAT goes back up!

....And listen to EVERYTHING JDP tells you, you'll regret it on the night otherwise and at 18, your rep would never survive it for about a 150 mile radius!

Also, at 18 I'd question whether you ARE actually in charge for insurance purposes, you may find that the premium will rocket IF you inform them, IF you don't.....good luck!

Given geography and the OP's "over-estimation" of the band's standing, I'd be guessing on The Pigeon Detectives or The Cribs at the very grandest.

If so, that hotel power is goosed!

Get a generator - sharpish before VAT goes back up!

Too kind Stanley :P

The band in question go to venues of a similar size to that of the above bands..... As Stanley suggests, attempting to run any lighting, sound and backline together from 'the wall' unless you have a big supply of 32A/3 or something higher is going to be a mistake.

To be honest, when VAT does go up, the generator company will charge the new rate, so booking it now won't really have much affect on the price..

Archived