fire refuge secure comms

robthirlby

We have one designated fire refuge on the first floor of our theatre building. We need a secure comms system between the main doors and the refuge. I can only find a 5 way system designed for this purpose which is an overkill. Can anyone recommend equipment suitable for a single point to point link for this purpose?

Rob Thirlby

I suspect that it'll have to be something more sophisticated (or simpler, depending on your point of view!) than that. The ones we have at work are simply wall panels, with a large "call" button, and a built-in mic/speaker. Hard-wired to security office. Instructions in large print and braille. I guess they'll have battery back-up as well.

I would suspect that they would have to comply with aspects of BS5588 as well.

But as I say, that's just guessing!

Not only battery backed but may also have to be cabled in pyro fire-resistant cabling if it is being used for this purpose (BS5588 which Bruce referred to), tread carefully. The companies who install such systems may be able to help further.

David.

Should I now be concerned that all the other buildings I've been in where I've noticed fire refuge points, generally marked up for disabled people, have simply had a sign on the wall saying wait here and the fire brigade will check here first, or words to that effect. Or is this a new regulation they might not need to comply with yet?

Archived