Fun fair lights

themadhippy

Wot? were ? how much?

ok what I mean is what are those strips of lights called,often seen at fun fares and some discos.There a strip of 8 (might be more) low wattage lamps (possible clear pygmy's) each with a diamond shaped plastic cover,and are they a cheap item to hire (read no budget :) ) my brains in melt down at the thought of making the stage look like a fun fare

mmm candy floss must go on the rider

Traditionaly 110 volt or 230 volt, bare, coloured incandescent lamps were used.

The more modern tendancy is to use 24 volt lamps with clear plastic covers in various colours, such are normally a permanent instalation on fairground rides, or on the outside of public houses etc.

Might not be easy to hire.

Could you make something suitable? SES batten holders and SES 24 volt lamps are readily available from farnel and others.

Yet again the blue room comes to the rescue,them there lighting bars are the type of thing.Now to see what I can find similar to hire, pity the fair was in town the other week.As for building something,if I had the time I'd be trying to bolt 4 led par cans onto one of those classic 80's helicopter effects as well :)

Yet again the blue room comes to the rescue,them there lighting bars are the type of thing.Now to see what I can find similar to hire, pity the fair was in town the other week.As for building something,if I had the time I'd be trying to bolt 4 led par cans onto one of those classic 80's helicopter effects as well :angry:

LED parcan helicopters? That could be quite nice.

The fairground lighting caps are called cabochon and Remco are a good UK supplier. The caps tend to use 60V lamps wired in series circuits of four. Don't use 240V lamps as they have a short life in that size and tend to fail in a triac destroying manner. You can get two types. Solder and insulation displacement. The latter is easiest to wire if used with the correct cable.

Archived