Cheap Custon Gobos/Making a gobo

stuartm

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Those are the prices for just the Lens tube you realise.

The actual price for the whole unit is about IIRC £600-£700

Josh

Josh me old mate I'll do you a special deal,say £550 each, how many do ya want? we only paid £350 each(+ vat) 3 months ago complete with 800w lamp, hook clamp ,safety ,plug,all ready to hang.

Where were they from?

;) one of our local regular suppliers,who I spend a lot of my budget with , and I didn't just buy 1.However even without a discount company's like 10 out of 10 will sell em to you complete for £375.05 (plus vat) for the 12-28 or 23-50 zooms.

Try this!

If you have some thin shim brass or steel then spray paint both sides of a piece about the right size then very carefully scratch through the paint for the logo design fully prepared and tagged then etch in ferric chloride. Given the money you could apply a photoresist and expose it to the logo image and etch. -Does really need very thin shim but you only need an M size piece!

I've done it, it worked. The results are entirely dependent on your skill with the scraping tool.

The only really good result is from a custom gobo made by a pro.

I did the CNC route at school before, it may even have been me posting before. Anyway I used a drinks can, with some plastic either side to keep it neat and held down. It worked fairly well, although we had to burn some of the coating/paint off the inside and outside by running it in the lantern outside for a while.

Time was when you could buy a DIY gobo etch kit called the GoboMaker (link to second hand example), which I've never actually seen in real life, but I read about in a book. Seems to have vamnished off the planet, I've looked a few times over the years.

Any school should have PCB making abilities, so you could try coating a litho plate with resit, and doing a gobo like a PCB. Dunno if it'll work, but it should (or at least, might!)

Archived