Cheap Custon Gobos/Making a gobo

stuartm

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More -if you can etch a PCB then you could etch a piece of sheet copper, brass or steel shim and make a gobo. PCB material would be no good as the board is opaque!!.

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

I think Gobomaker had some chemicals that were less than friendly. Saw it at Plasa ....ago but never in life.

The last custom Gobo that ROSCO made up for me came out at £67 (I still have the invoice on my desk as the client would not pay for it) Can you please let me know who is offering custom gobos for;

We tried to source them before and found around the £30-35 mark.

The image isn't too complex, I think it would be worth trying to cut this with a scalpel and some catering foil. I would never recommend using tin cans or drinks cans as they are too thick to cut accurately with a scalpel and the sharp edges become dangerous. The blades that I use are a Surgical No.11 and sometimes, depending on supply, the mircoblades, these would be blunt on the first cut with anything like a tin can.

The problem with the foil is that itis very fragile as it can be torn easily if handled with anything but the upmost care, however due to the extremely low thermal mass they tend not to burn like a thicker steel gobo. I have foil gobos that have lasted long after a steel one has burned away to nothing.

I used to offer custom gobos to people on the blue room (see this thread for examples) but as not one person actually bothered to pay, dispite offering I don't bother to offer any more.

Edit:- Corrected the link to actually point to a post

Can I suggest the following? If using a Selecon, you could make your gobo out of 150 / 180 micron OHP sheet, and a good laser printer, but if you're using black you'll need to change it to grey.

I know this works as I've made quite a few full colour gobos using this method, and they've lasted for a weeks run.

Clicky

Many years ago, I remember making a gobo by taking a piece of glass, smoking it over a candle until uniformly black, and then producing the design by scraping of the soot with a pin or matchstick etc.

The glass will get extremly hot and ordinary window glass would be liable to shatter, we used heat proof tempered glass as is used on high wattage outdoor floodlights etc.

I've had sets of custom gobos made by Goboland (Vicky Fairall is their UK contact person). They will cut steel gobos for around £30 for the first, and then £10 per additional copy. They also keep your design on file, so if you need more in a year or so, you can quote the design number and get them easily.

Archived